November 5, My Sister, My Best Friend


I didn't ask for her nor did I have any say when I was born,  I just lucked into being born as her little sister.  She is 3 years older than me, although for a good portion of our lives it felt more like 33 years.  She was wiser and more mature, I was cuter and more fun.  She always had a steady boyfriend and I was always moving on to the next best thing.

Despite our differences, I was pretty interested in what she was up to.  She had this small green binder that she kept phone numbers of all her friends in (this was way before cell phones).  I would sneak in to her room when she wasn't around and pour over the girls and guys lucky enough to get their name in her book.  I would run my finger down the list, proud that I knew almost all the people she had in there.  My freshman year she was senior.  I would smile with pride when teachers would comment on my "big sister."  Yep, I thought she was pretty cool too, even though I wouldn't admit it then.

The funny thing is, I didn't really let her know how much I loved her until I moved away.  It was while I lived in Wyoming that we got closer.  I guess when you don't see someone everyday, you value the time and conversations you have with them even more.  These days, I look forward to every day I get to spend with her.  She travels a lot, so it isn't always easy to get together.  She's trustworthy, she's loving, and she works way harder than most people I know.  Her eyes light up when she holds her nephew and his eyes reflect the same love and affection back to her.

I don't know if I've ever told her I'm thankful for her....so if I haven't, Rhea Nicole, my only sister and one of my best friends, I love you...and for you I give thanks.

Like this blog, leave a comment (or tell me what you're thankful for!)!  Feedback makes me happy! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More