November 8, Flexibility

Juggle work or motherhood?  How about a little of both?
Years ago I worked in the corporate world, complete with business cards, paid vacation, and a little plaque with my name on it.  I worked with a couple of my closest friends, I enjoyed my job, and I had a pretty great boss.  Funny thing is when I met this tiny little person that I had spent the previous 8 months growing, none of that work stuff seemed to matter.  I wanted to spend my time with him and the cut in pay (while it hurt) was worth it.  When Scott and I looked into the future, we both agreed we would never say "Gosh, I really wish I would have worked more and spent less time with Paisley."  Not to mention, Scott has a good job that can allow me to stay home with P, so it just made sense.

Life has a way of making everything happen for a reason.  Around the time that Scott and I realized my full-time gig, driving 45 minutes one way, and less than flexible work schedule was not working for our family, a friend from the local university called me about a job.  I was thrilled with the opportunity to be able to work 2 days a week in the Human Resource field, while spending the rest of the week taking care of Paisley.  To me, that is the best of both worlds! 

The university doesn't need me on a regular basis, so they will occasionally call and ask if I want to come in and work a day or two.  Since my mom and mother-in-law are my caregivers to Paisley when I am not available, it is easy for one of them to take him on the day that I work.  I am able to stay active in my professional career, while raising my child.  Having the ability to take care of our house, our child, and contribute financially is my perfect balance.  Having Paisley's grandmothers both available anytime is pretty awesome as well.  To careers that can flex to accommodate mothers and to grandmothers that can drop everything at a moments notice to watch their grandchild...I give (many) thanks! 

Like this blog, leave a comment (or tell me what you're thankful for!)!  Feedback makes me happy! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More