November 1st, First Day of Thanks

Our little turkey
I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon, but I've seen a lot of people posting on Facebook something they are thankful for each day of November.  I decided to play along.  Let's see if I can manage a relatively small post each day this month.

Last night Paisley came down with a cold.  Scott had it first, then I had it, and we knew it was only a matter of time before the little guy took his turn with the Kleenex box and Vick's vapor rub.  He was a trooper and tried powering through it.  He went to bed like normal but was a little fussy at 12:30am.  I watched him on the monitor and he wasn't awake, just rolling around.  He quieted back down and went to sleep.  At 2:30am he was up again...crying.  Since he typically doesn't wake up at night or cry like this, I went in his room.  I could hear how congested he was.  Crying those few minutes didn't help with his congestion.

This is the first stuffy nose he has had, so I imagined he was probably scared as to why he couldn't breathe through his nose.  I took him out of his crib, filled up a sippy cup with water (I've always heard dairy was not good to give someone that is congested) and we sat in the recliner and rocked.  I figured if he slept sitting up on my chest, he might be able to breath a little easier.  *At this point, you are probably wondering how I'm thankful for a sick baby*

He quickly calmed down in my arms and in the moon filled room, I could see him looking at my face.  He put his hand on my cheek and closed his eyes.  I listened to him breathe easier until his breathing fell into a rhythm that I knew meant he was sleeping.  I kept on rocking.  The house was silent.  The only light was the time flashing on the radio and the moon streaming in.  Scott was sound asleep in our room and I was there in the living room, rocking our sick baby.  My mind was flooded with nothing but thanks at 3AM.  I had zero interest in shutting my own eyes, I didn't want to miss a minute of this moment.  So I kept on rocking.

Yes, my baby was sick.  But this is just a little cold.  Nothing that love from his Momma can't cure.  He was calmed by being in my arms.  My heart soared as I knew at that moment, all that baby wanted was to sleep in his Momma's arms.  I was so happy to be able to meet that need.  I gave thanks for that special moment, of my little boy needing me and me being able to meet his needs.

As the sun came up, I slipped him back into crib as he was breathing much easier.  Next to the warmth of my husband, I realized that I may not be as well rested today as normal, but my night left me feeling full of life and love.  For that, I give thanks.

Like my blog?  Leave a comment (or tell me what you're thankful for!)!!  Feedback makes me happy! :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More