Our Pre-Thanksgiving Dinner

What does my little turkey say? Gobble Gobble!!
Thanksgiving was around the corner and a large turkey was sitting in our freezer. I had never had a turkey in our freezer before and I was contemplating what exactly I should do with it. The Fisher family had plans to spend Thanksgiving in Florida, but I wanted to have a traditional Thanksgiving meal before we headed south. Scott was out of town for a few days and I thought it would be nice for him to come home to a pre-Thanksgiving feast. With that thought, I removed the turkey from the freezer, popped it in the refrigerator and headed to bed.

The next morning while dropping Dumplin off at his Grammies, I casually mentioned to my father-in-law that I would be baking a turkey that night.

Me: I'm going to bake my first turkey tonight!

FIL: Did you already thaw your turkey?

Me: Yeah! I took it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge last night.

FIL: That turkey isn't even close to thawed. Did you pull the insides of the turkey out?

Me: Pull the insides of the turkey out???

FIL: You better consult a recipe book on cooking turkeys before you do anything else.

I took his advice and researched how to cook a turkey. It was then I learned that it takes days to thaw a 18lb. turkey, not just 1 night. I also learned a baking sheet is not what one uses when baking a turkey, but a special pan. As I picked up Dumplin that afternoon, I borrowed a special turkey cooking pan as well as some rubber gloves (I wasn't about to stick a bare hand inside that bird) from my mother-in-law. I found a recipe on the Internet that I knew I could handle and I was ready to bake us a turkey (recipe to come in another blog).
Our turkey carver!
After another 2 days of thawing my turkey was ready to go into the oven. I put the baby in his Jumperoo, put some finishing touches on the bird, and into the oven it went. As the bird was on its final hour, Scott got home from the airport. He was greeted with a Thanksgiving feast for 3 (although only 2 of us actually eat real food). It was a delicious pre-Thanksgiving feast that was a great way to kick off our holiday season!

Happy Thanksgiving from our table to yours!
Like this blog? Leave a comment! Feedback makes me happy! :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More