Twas the Night Before Christmas and all through the House...


Sometime during that Christmas Eve night, a jolly
little man brought gifts for all.
Christmas Eve has always been the most magical night of the year. Growing up, every Christmas Eve we would drive through Lincoln State Park on the way to my Grandparents house. Perhaps it was coincidence or something more, but we would always spot enough deer in the woods to make up Santa’s team of reindeer.

Their long driveway took us past their Christmas tree farm and up the hill to their home. It doesn’t get much more Christmas-y then owning a Christmas tree farm. My grandfather would always put Christmas lights around the pine tree in their front yard. We would burst into their home and be greeted with hugs and kisses and a variety of 12 different Christmas desserts.
My cousins would arrive and we would eat like kings and queens. There were H'orderves of every type, my favorite being my mother’s little chicken salad sandwiches. In the family room they had a large sliding glass door that I would stand at and look into the star filled sky, hoping to catch a glimpse of Santa’s sleigh. The fireplace would be roaring and the clock on their mantle would tick-tock the seconds away. It was safe and warm and filled with people that I love so much.
We would open gifts and the cousins would play. As the evening grew darker, my grandfather would play his harmonica as we all gathered around him. One Christmas while living in Wyoming, I was unable to make it home for Christmas. That year my mom held the phone next to my grandfather while he played so I could still be a part of that  tradition. I missed my family more at that moment than any other.

The 45 minute drive home from their house was filled with much anticipation. One year our car didn’t have headlights so my father tied a flash light to the grill of his truck to guide us home. My favorite times were the evenings it would snow. With my face pressed against the cool glass, I watched the ground accept the soft white blanket. At home, we opened 1 gift, it was always pajamas. When my sister and I were younger they were matching. As we got older, we were able to pick out whatever pajamas we wanted. Then it was off to mid-night mass, which was never really at mid-night, but 9pm. I loved to hear the choir sing and smell the incense hanging in the air. As I crawled into bed that night, I was too excited to fall right to sleep.  I would strain my ears to listen for the sound of hooves of our roof.  I wondered what would be waiting under the tree in the morning. I wondered how Santa could make it all over the world and hoped he had received my letter asking for the pogo stick, boom box, Holiday Barbie, etc. He always received my letters.
A few of the grandkids with our grandparents

Grandparents get older, harmonica’s lose their tune, and homes with the tree farm get sold. I wish my son could have experienced one Christmas Eve in the house on the hill. With this being our son’s first Christmas, we have a clean slate to start new traditions. I want to fill his head with memories that when he is 30 years old, he will look back upon and smile.
This year on Christmas Eve our family of 3 headed to Christmas Lake Village (a very appropriate place to spend Christmas Eve) to my Aunt and Uncle’s home. Not all of the cousins were there, but we were with family, and there was food, and there was love. We got to spend time with those we don’t get to see very often and got to meet the girlfriend of one of my favorite cousins. We took pictures and laughed and I was thankful that our car had headlights to guide us home. I was nervous to take our little bundle to mid-night mass…he could very well be louder than the choir of 15 adults and I didn’t want to upstage them. So home we went. I read “Twas the Night Before Christmas” to Paisley and tucked him into his crib. Scott and I left the Christmas tree lights on all night because we wanted to make sure Santa could find our house.
A tired Momma and a happy Christmas Eve baby
I crawled into bed as anxious as I did when I was little girl. I was excited for our boy to experience Christmas Day and to feel the spirit and love that I had growing up. I didn’t have quite as much trouble falling asleep as I am a bit more sleep deprived these days than I was 10 or so years ago. With fingers crossed, I hoped Santa would find our house and that we can make a memory or two for our little fish.

…Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse

Like this blog? Leave a comment.  Feedback makes me happy! :)

Comments

  1. Kara, I am going to use a whole box of tissues if I keep reading these Blogs:) I am Happy that you have such wonderful childhood memories. If Papaw and Nana have anything to do with it Paisley will too! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More