Mom Friends

There's part of a Keith Urban song that says "And suddenly my little world just got a whole lot bigger, yes it did.  And people that I barely knew, they love me cause I'm part of you."

I had no idea that having a child(ren) really and truly brought new people deep into your life.
My first "mom" friend and our crew
When looking for a crib for Lila on Craigslist, I came across a posting of the exact bed I wanted.  The location was near our home in a nice neighborhood.  Arrangements were made, we met the family, the crib was purchased and we headed home.  That night, I received a text from the mom asking "Would you want to get our kids together to play?"  She had 2 young daughters and I was absolutely flattered that in our text exchanges and brief meeting, she felt comfortable enough with me to get our kids together.  She was the first "mom friend"I made....a friendship that probably never would have occurred had I not had kids.
Little friends
Although my craigslist friend has now moved away and our lives are no longer nearly as connected, I will always reflect on her as my first "mom friend."  She was my training wheels as I ventured into this world of bringing new friends into our lives simply because they also had kids of similar age.

As a side note, Scott learned that "mom friends" don't always turn out like a bad Lifetime movie with your child getting snatched and the "mom friend" disappearing into the night.  Thank goodness!  Maybe it was because I made this particular one off Craigslist that made him so nervous.  Anyway...

My next "mom friend" came when Paisley was 18 months old, but it took a few months before we cemented our friendship.  Her daughter (Lainey) and Paisley were in the same KinderMusik class.  We always sat next to one another and exchanged pleasantries, our young children content with staring at one another and enjoying the music.
He's always had eyes for this little girl....
As the semester ended, I asked Scott if he thought it was weird if I asked this mom to get together over the summer.  He encouraged it, and I stepped out of my comfort zone and asked the mom (Krista) if she would want to get together.  I seriously felt like I was asking another girl on a date.  I was nervous and anxious and wasn't sure how she would respond.  Luckily she happily accepted the invitation and we got our families together numerous times over the summer.
Group of cuties
Fast forward a little over 2 years later....Paisley frequently talks about marrying Lainey.  They're friendship is cute and sweet and Paisley also loves hanging out with Lainey's older brother.  As an added bonus....Scott enjoys hanging out with Lainey's dad, I love hanging out with Lainey's mom, and the 4 kids between us play together about as good as any 4 children can play together.  We've taken a weekend lake trip with them and split time between one another's home.  It's a wonderful friendship that never would have taken place without the birth of our babes.
One of my "Mom Friends"-So Glad her crew came into our lives 
There are so many unexpected bonuses to having kids and introducing new families into our circle is definitely one of them.  I never expected to form such friendships when we started doing various kid-centered activities, but I am so thankful for those that have formed.

Have you made good connections with "mom friends" as you've entered the world of motherhood?

Today I'm linking up with Polka-Dotty Place http://polka-dottyplace.blogspot.com for Tuesday Talk! We love to connect with our audience, feel free to leave us some comment love or follow us!





Comments

  1. Stopping by from the Tuesday link up ... I love this post! I love my "mom" crew. I have discovered as my girls have gotten older I have a 3 different groups of mom friends - one for each girl(since they are in different grades at school) and one group made up of my friends from church - and I love doing life with all those moms! Have a great day!
    https://lifeloveandreality.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I am so happy that someone understands my meaning of "mom-friends." It's amazing isn't it? People we never would have come into contact with, but they have and we enjoy them so much!! I love that you have a group with each of your kids! I can't wait to see these friendships evolve as our kids grow older. Thank you so much for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. You nailed the Mom friend process perfectly!! It definitely feels like you're asking someone out for the first time when you initiate plans. I always worry - will they like me? will our kids get along? will we have enough things to talk about?? I've made some sweet mom friends over the years, but it definitely requires putting yourself out there and taking risks to make those friendships. Loved this post as a good reminder to keep reaching out to moms to build my mom circle :) Thanks for linking up today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I am so glad that I am not the only one that feels anxious and nervous when growing my mom-friends. :) I hadn't been that nerve-wracked in forever! Thank you again for letting me link up!!! I am so glad my computer/phone are talking again!! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More