Merry Christmas Baby!!

He loves his blocks!
My favorite gift wasn’t wrapped in a beautiful package or nestled down in the toe of my red fuzzy stocking. It was found in my bed, snuggled between his father and me, breathing deeply, with arms stretched out. Watching the rise and fall of his chest beneath his soft polar fleece sleeper was mesmerizing. A little further across the sheets was a larger version of my tiny sleeping angel (minus the polar fleece sleeper). My two boys, breathing in unison, completely at peace, safe and sound and within arm’s reach…this is all I need or want…better than any gift that can be purchased in a store.

I whispered Merry Christmas to my husband and the littlest angel’s eyes flew open as if he had been patiently waiting for us to wake up. Morning hugs and kisses followed before we gathered around the Christmas tree. As P’s eyes fell on his colorful blocks, I put him down and his hands immediately went to work grabbing at them. I sat him on his push-n-ride and pushed him around the living room. I was more interested in showing P his new gifts and going through his stocking than I was with my own. Watching his eyes drink in the colorful books and balls, his hands didn’t know what to grab next. Scott and I took turns going through our stockings and gifts and enjoying the Christmas spirit that is so strong on Christmas morning.

Under our tree sat a Nativity. The Nativity belonged to my great-grandmother and has been on display every Christmas since I can remember. When I was younger the nativity was home to my Christmas elves that ran between the packages beneath the tree, accidently ripping open a gift or two. A small present was hidden behind the Nativity…the tag said “To: Mom, Love: Paisley.” Although I shouldn’t be surprised, I was touched that my husband would get a gift for Paisley to give to me. The gift was a mother and child necklace that has a diamond and Paisley’s birthstone in the shape of a heart. It was thoughtful, it was heartfelt, and it was from our son to me.
Christmas at the Fisher's
Our family of 3 headed to Scott’s parents for breakfast. Paisley got to interact with his cousins and we opened more gifts. Dumplin decided he needed some down time so he laid on a blanket next to his Momma and watched as we opened gifts.
Daddy with his girls
As the clock crept closer to lunch, it was off to my parent’s house for more Christmas cheer. After a delicious lunch of breakfast brunch items, we gathered in the living room and opened the beautiful red glittery packages. We learned that red glittery packages end up getting glitter everywhere! I found glitter in P’s diaper later that night! We had a surprise visit from my Aunt that I hadn’t seen in far too long. It is always good to see her as she is one of the funniest, most loving, and giving people I have ever met.
We received some fabulous gifts and Dumplin got a Little People Airplane that became his favorite gift that evening. My sister had cross stitched a dark haired girl and a blonde haired boy holding a baby with “The Fisher’s” stitched below it. It was framed in a beautiful wood frame and I can’t wait to hang it in P’s room. It was a priceless gift that touched the heart of my husband and I.

We chatted, we laughed, we passed the baby and drank coffee. There weren’t enough hours in the day to spend as much time with my family as I would have liked. It’s nice to love and be loved. It’s nice to have a group of people that love my baby and he loves them. It’s nice to walk into the house and feel like “I’m home,” even if it’s not the place I rest my head every night. Their company and love warmed my soul and I was so happy to share that with Paisley this year.
Paisley with his great-grandmother and cousins
As the evening nipped at our heels, we headed to Scott’s grandmother’s house for dinner. Paisley is so blessed that he got to spend Christmas not only with both sets of grandparents, but also with 2 great-grandmothers and a great-grandfather. Dumplin enjoyed laying in front of her Christmas tree and rolling around. There were more gifts and plenty of food, and entertaining little ones. As my eyes grew heavy and baby boy fussed for his bed, we packed up our car and headed home for the night.

We tucked our little dumplin in under the twinkling lights of his Christmas tree. I whispered Merry Christmas once more and we closed his bedroom door. Scott and I headed outside to enjoy the last few hours of Christmas in the warmth of our hot tub. The air was brisk and the clear sky was dark as coal. The stars twinkled brightly as if someone above had strung white Christmas lights throughout the sky. We breathed deeply and reflected on the activity of the day. Last Christmas as we wound down the evening, we had no idea we would be celebrating this Christmas with a little one. Now we couldn’t imagine a Christmas without him.

As I laid my head on Scott’s chest in bed that night, I prayed Paisley’s dreams were filled with images of the little baby in the manger, the faces of his family and a guy in a big red suit bringing him gifts. And I prayed each member of my family was safely tucked away in their beds, filled with the spirit of the season, and knowing they are loved and appreciated. Love is the greatest gift to give and receive. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

Like this blog? Leave a comment! Feedback makes me happy! :)

Comments

  1. My Sweet Sweet Kara. You always make me cry wth your blogs. Which is not a bad thing, they are just so touching! Love you and your precious Little Family!!! xo xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More