A little postive = BIG changes!!

1/6/2011
There was absolutely no reason for me to think I wouldn’t start my period. I went through my day of moodiness which I chalked up as my impending monthly visitor. I felt a little bloated. So here I was, within a day of starting and I figured, why not just pee on a home pregnancy test (HPT). I had the test sitting there and I guess I just wanted to pee on it. So I did. Instantly, the pregnancy line came into view. I sat there and laughed. I thought I better get out of the bathroom and tell Scott that we were about to embark on a wild ride. He was fixing a hamburger and as he looked at my face, he said, “What’s wrong?” I told him he needed to come into the bathroom with me. He said hundreds of thoughts were running through his mind, but he had no idea I was about to show him a positive HPT. As his eyes saw the positive sign they quickly looked up into my eyes. With a giggle I said something along the lines of, “you know what that means, right?” He quickly forgot about his hamburger and we sat on the couch, hugging, laughing, and saying “Holy S%*T!”

As the night worn on and a stiff drink was made (for him, not me), we began living under the mantra “cautious optimism.” We were excited and wanted to tell everyone right then, but at the same time, this isn’t our first time around the block. We know how delicate the situation is and that our happiness can take a turn and spiral us into the opposite direction in a matter of minutes. While we aren’t ready to discuss the details of our previous downward spiral with the blogging world, it is an experience that we went through. It is an experience that had it not happened, we would not be expecting this little baby fish that is currently growing inside me. So what has this baby fish been up to? Currently at four weeks and 2 days, the baby is the size of an apple seed. The most precious apple seed in the world. This week the tiny little organs are starting to form and the heart will start beating. Amazing thinking all that is happening in something so tiny!

I feel amazing! I’ve noticed I’m hungrier than normal, but maybe that’s because it’s winter and my body is burning up that fuel trying to stay warm? I’ve also noticed my new cleavage! (So has Scott!) It’s amazing what a few weeks of pregnancy will do to an A cup! And believe it or not, I have tiniest of a baby bump. Scott can barely tell a difference, but I notice my swollen belly that feels a little firmer than normal. Knock on wood, thus far I haven’t been nauseous. And I’m a little sleepier than normal. Nothing drastic, but by the evening, I am ready to curl up on the couch with Scott and rest!

Our first appointment is scheduled for Feb. 8. At that time, we will have an ultra sound as well as our first appointment with our Dr. This appointment is critical. This is the appointment that will tell us if the baby currently has any visible issues with retaining water along the spine. We will also (hopefully) be able to hear the heartbeat which will become one of my favorite sounds in the world. On a side note, Scott and I have already named the baby. Regardless of its gender, its name will begin with the letter “P.” Going forward, we will refer to the baby as Baby P.

So, between Feb. 2-6, Scott and I have already booked a skiing trip to Tahoe. Yes, Scott and I have read every issue Drs have with downhill skiing while pregnant. However, we have decided that if I stay on the greens (beginner runs) only, my chance of falling is low to non-existent. I’m not an expert skier, but I can make my way down almost any blue (intermediate runs) without an issue, so I’m going to be cautious and stick to the greens. Now you are asking, “why risk it.” Simple. Scott and I are strong believers that if something is going to happen, it’s going to happen regardless of our attempts to avoid it. Up until now, Scott and I had always played by the rules, yet life still handed us a box of crap at one point. This time, we are leaning on a little faith, hope, and luck. Risky, yes, but it’s our decision and we are comfortable with it.

ps.  The skiing trip was perfect and accident free!  Read previous posts for a recap of the trip!
pss. This blog was actually written on 1/6/11, but we wanted to wait until we were safely out of the first trimester before letting the world in on our perfect little secret!  Now that we are in the clear, let the baby blogs begin!

Like this blog?  Leave a comment! Feedback makes me (and Baby P) happy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

Simple Mistakes or Something More

Loss