Entering the World of Children's Sports *gulp*

The sheet of paper slid out of his backpack with ease, as if this was all written in the stars and supposed to be happening.  I read over the words and looked back to his backpack, making sure he hadn't grabbed one of the older children's by mistake.  The moment caught me off guard and my eyes fell on my little boy.  Was he really old enough for t-ball sign-ups?

Lil Slugger
Growing up I played sports and loved watching baseball.  My husband also grew up in an athletic family that played sports, so naturally we knew the time would come for our offspring to play.  I just didn't expect it to happen so soon. 

Scott took our boy to sign ups while I stayed home with baby sister.  A few weeks later we received a text from his coach (a guy Scott went to high school with), a practice and game schedule, and a list of his teammates.  Paisley was happy to see 2 names on his teammate list that he knew from school.  

Being that Scott and I are first time parents in the world of children's sports, we were clueless about what type of equipment to purchase for our 4 year old.  Luckily Scott works with a seasoned children's sports parent and received the valuable advice of "At 4 they aren't going to be serious about the game, they might be more interested in watching the clouds pass over the t-ball diamond, and your child may never want to play again after 1 season.  So purchase the cheapest gear you can find and as long as it fits, it will be fine."  So our family of 4 ventured to Wal-Mart to buy a bat, batting helmet, glove, and a couple t-balls.  I'm pretty sure it was the first (and probably the last) time our family of 4 all went to Wal-mart together.
The gear

As I was putting the schedule of games and practices on our calendar, Scott and I realized the weekend we were rescheduling our trip to Pittsburgh was also Paisley's first game.  Obviously we weren't going to have him miss the game, so we had to reschedule our rescheduled road trip.  With a half laugh and half serious tone, Scott said "This is only the beginning of having kids in sports." 

Paisley has been practicing hitting the ball off his tee and we've been practicing fielding balls.  We've stressed to him that as long as he tries his hardest, we're going to be proud of the way he plays. 

His first practice is tonight and I think I'm more anxious then he is.  He may get out there and love the sport or he may take after his Aunt Bunny and spend more time looking for 4-leaf clovers then paying attention to the game.  Either way, we've officially entered the world of children's sports.  He may be the next Don Mattingly or he may decide that he's more of a football player then baseball.  I'll support those decisions and whatever sport he chooses, I'll be cheering him on in the stands with a smile on my face.    

It's time for Tuesday Talk and I'm once again teaming up with Polka-Dotty Place 

Comments

  1. I can't believe Paisley is old enough for sports! Time sure flies with these precious little ones. Hope he loves it and has a great time. Thanks for linking up with us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember his first step like it was yesterday...and now he's running bases! Practice went better then I ever imagined and he's ready for practice next week!! Thank you for asking! I love my Tuesday link up!! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More