It's the most wonderful time of the Year

Loving everything about this time of  year
The boys and our tree
Watching Christmas through the eyes of a 2 yr 4 month old might be the sweetest event I've ever witnessed.  Following tradition, the day after Thanksgiving the family headed to the tree farm to cut down the perfect tree.  Sadly, by the time we got there I had 2 sleeping babies in the car and the wind was a frigid beast.  We sat in the car while Scott took care of business and he found a perfect tree.

I had previously explained to Paisley that we would cut down a tree and put it up in the living room.  If you want to see confusion, tell a toddler there's going to be a tree in the living room.  That same night the tree got put up, Fisher Elf (Elf on the Shelf) moved into our house.  He could be found hanging from ceiling fans, sitting on window blinds, and hanging out on the Christmas tree the month leading up to Christmas.  Paisley enjoyed finding him each morning and saying "Hi Fisher Elf."

I fully expected the tree to get pulled over at least twice before Christmas.  I am happy to say that Paisley wasn't really all that
She loved the lights on her tree
interested in messing with the tree.  He loved looking at it and he would occasionally swat at a ball just to get a rise out of me, but for the most part, he did excellent with it.  Just to be safe, I put all the breakable ornaments on the top of the tree and just a few less important ornaments on the bottom.

Lila and Paisley both had a small tree in their room.  I loved the soft glow of Christmas lights filling their room as they napped during the day.  We also put lights up outside the house.

Our Christmas cards were addressed and sent and Paisley loved going to the mailbox to see what Christmas cards we received in return.  He loved the photos cards of our friends and family and really loved them if they featured kids.  I accidentally deleted my list of cards sent before I sent all of them...therefore some people got two and some got none.  Next year I won't let Paisley play with my phone that contains my list of Christmas cards sent.

My sweeties
I did more baking this year than I have done in the past and I loved it.  I let Paisley help me bake cookies and pumpkin bread.  The smell of pumpkin bread baking while the Christmas lights twinkled and Christmas music played in the background was as perfect as can be.  We even had a pre-Christmas snow fall that made everything seem extra perfect and Christmasy.

My mom got Paisley an advent calendar that included lots of stickers.  Everyday we would sit at the island and he would put the sparkly candy shaped stickers in the correct spot.  He would look at me with a smile on his face and say "Mommy fun!"  He reminded me everyday that we needed to "work" on our calendar.

I really kept myself from going overboard on gifts for the kids.  I think Scott was even impressed with my restraint.  I just didn't want to completely overshadow the reason of the celebration, plus, our house is already full of toys.  I did enjoy wrapping the gifts and even after they were under tree, Paisley left them alone.

Paisley 2011
Scott took quite a chunk of time off over the holidays and we loved having him home with us.  We slept in as late as a toddler and infant would let us sleep.  We had big breakfasts each day complete with coffee.  In the evenings we would read the kids one of their many Christmas books and let them watch part of a children's Christmas movie.  After the kids were in bed for the night, Scott and I would curl up on the couch and catch the rest of the movie.  During the day, I was able to sneak a Hallmark Christmas movie in here and there.  It was absolutely perfect.
Lila 2013

Christmas Eve was upon us and I learned an important lesson, do not wait until the last minute to wrap gifts.  Even though I didn't go crazy with gifts, it was still a lot to wrap in a short amount of time.  We dropped some sweets off at our neighbors house and drove to my parents for Christmas Eve dinner.  There has always been something magical about Christmas Eve.  From the time I was little and we would drive to my grandparents, to spending last Christmas Eve at the funeral home saying good-bye to my grandfather, Christmas Eve is magical.

Someone was good this year!
We arrived at my parents and the house glistened with the spirit of Christmas.  All my favorite Christmas foods were simmering in the kitchen.  Some of our cousins were there as well as an aunt and uncle.  We ate, we reminisced and created new memories.  I loved watching Paisley interact with the family and experience this special night.  We left around his bedtime and drove home under the star filled sky.

I loved tucking my babies into bed, clad in their Christmas jammies.  Even though we explained that Santa would come during the night, Paisley didn't understand what the morning would entail.

Surprisingly Paisley slept until about 8am on Christmas morning.  We had already moved Lila into our bed so she wouldn't wake Paisley with her morning chatter.  After Paisley woke we cuddled for awhile before asking him if he wanted to see what Santa brought him.  With an excited "Yeah!"we headed into the living room.

At first he acted timid, like he wasn't sure what to do with the gifts under the tree.  He hung back and just looked wide eyed, taking in the filled stockings.  As his eyes landed on some wooden cars he couldn't hold himself back any longer.  He plunged his skinny hands under the tree and began looking at his new toys.
My little family
Lila was much less interested in the gifts and more interested in watching her brother.  With each gift that Paisley found he wanted to open and play with it, not realizing there were more gifts to follow.  

As soon as gifts were open, it was time to get dressed and head to my parents house.  I don't think Paisley understood why he had to leave all his new toys "P play, P play," he kept saying.  I explained there were more gifts at Nana and Papaw's house.  He looked skeptical, but he let me get him dressed.

We arrived in time for brunch and just like the night before, the food was amazing.  Paisley got to open gifts as soon as he walked in the door.  Sandi-claus had left him a toddler size shopping cart full of goodies.  I could hear him exclaiming "Oh Wow" from the other room.
Christmas Angel

There was a good turn out at my parents house, having cousins, grandparents, and aunts stop by.  Little Lila was a bit out of sorts and wanted only her Momma or to just fuss.  I tried to keep her out of the busy parts of the house as I didn't want everyone to have to listen to a screaming baby.

It seemed we had just got there, ate, opened gifts, and it was time to go.  I think I only had time for 1 cup of coffee!  On the road again we headed to Scott's parents house for Christmas #3.  We had 2 sleepy babies.  We discussed next Christmas cutting down on travel on Christmas Day.  Instead of doing big Christmas at both parents house, we will do one on Christmas Eve and one of Christmas Day.  We want the kids to be able to enjoy their gifts as they open them and not have to rush off to another destination.

By the time we opened gifts at Scott's parents house, Paisley was more interested in laying in a pile of wrapping paper and kicking it around.  I'm pretty sure I ended up opening all of his gifts. I think all 4 of us sighed with relief as we packed the car and headed home.  We left some gifts in the car as we were ready to get the kids and ourselves in bed!

It was busy, it was at times chaotic, and it was wonderful.  It was Christmas with the people I love the most.  I would have loved to been able to see what my littles thought of the previous 2 days, as they laid their heads down for bed.  As exhausting as preparing for the holidays can be, I look forward to doing it all over again next year.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night!

Like this blog, leave a comment!  Feedback makes me happy! :)  






Comments

  1. Looks like you guys had a great Christmas!! It's tricky trying to spend time with everyone you love, keep up long standing traditions and work around sleepy babies. Every holiday seems a little more exciting than the last when little ones are involved. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you!! It was a great holiday season indeed. Isn't it more fun celebrating with kids then without? :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

Simple Mistakes or Something More

Loss