Gaining Independence...One Bite at a Time

Mmmm....peas!

I knew it would happen one day…I would no longer be the sole source of food for our baby. It was bittersweet as I mashed up avocado into the creamiest concoction possible. We made it 6 months and now it was time to introduce solids.

The day of his 6 month appointment his pediatrician gave us some guidelines on what we could / shouldn’t feed him. Off to the grocery I went to buy some fresh veggies. I figured it was also time to buy a high chair since we are moving down this road. (We won’t mention the cute little plastic fish bibs I also picked up while I was there.)

We chose to feed Paisley avocado’s first since they are already relatively mushy and packed full of goodness. After smashing it up, I mixed it with a little milk and was ready to go. Dumplin looked so little sitting in his big new high chair. It was almost as if he knew something exciting was about to happen as he anxiously watched us with his big blue eyes. Scott and I sat down with our dinner plates and I would alternate between taking bites of my food with feeding Paisley.  We also poured milk in a sippy cup so he could get used to having a drink with dinner. Plus we figured he may need help washing his avocado puree down. He took to both the spoon and the sippy cup pretty quick. He reminded Scott and I of a little bird they way he would open his mouth, swallow his food without hesitation and open his mouth again. Scott had the camera clicking while I played Momma Bird.
Big guy with a sippy cup!
We fed him avocado for 3 days and after noticing zero signs of rash or reaction to the food, we put it on our safe list. Next I made pureed peas. Our Baby Bullet food processor came in pretty handy for this meal. Dumplin was equally as happy with his peas as he was his avocados. Today will be day 3 of peas and it looks like this food will also make it to our safe list. We plan on starting him on sweet potatoes tomorrow.

After we go through a few more vegetables we will introduce fruits into his diet. I don’t foresee him disliking those either. A rundown of the lessons we are hoping to instill in Baby Fish as he joins the solid food eating world;

-We eat dinner at the kitchen table as a family.
-Patience. Just because you open your mouth doesn’t mean you will get another spoonful that second.
-Sippy cups require 2 hands.
-Trying to get pureed peas out of eyebrows is not fun or easy. 
Like this blog? Leave a comment! Feedback makes me happy! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More