Big Changes for our Little Family

Happy Graduation!! (With Poppa and Momma)
After I graduated college in December of 2006, I had every intention of heading back west.  After all, I only left Wyoming to get my degree and spend a couple years with my family.  So there I was with my diploma in hand and my eyes fell upon a job opening in the corporate world.  The only hang up, that job opening was right here in my little hometown, not nestled out west in the mountains.  "What the heck," I thought, I'll apply for the job and if I get it, I'll gain a few years of experience then I'll head back west.  After all...the mountains will always be there. 
So happy together! Happy Wedding Day!
Fast forward 5 years later...I have a house, a husband and a baby. 
Happy "Birth" Day!!! My family!
Here I was 5 years later, living the role of corporate employee, wife and mother.  I was wearing a lot of hats and it was taking a toll.  I returned to work from my maternity leave in October and at first I thought, "I can swing this."  Scott and I would both get home about 5:30 and I would feed little dumplin while Scott got dinner going.  By the time we both ate and got clothes/lunches ready for the following day, it was already 9:30 in the evening.  There was not a lot of time to relax, wash clothes, clean the house, or just enjoy spending time with one another.  Our lives began getting a little chaotic, and that wasn't healthy for any of us!

This is how I longed to spend more time....
In December, Scott and I started talking about alternative ideas.  While I was trying my hardest to be the best mother, wife, employee I could be, I wasn't able to take care of our house, cook meals, and spend time with my husband and child like I wanted to.  This mentally began tearing me apart.  Yes Scott can iron his own pants and find his misplaced belt (that he loses every time he takes off), but I felt this was "MY" job.  Maybe because I was raised in a home with a stay at home mom, but "I" wanted to have dinner on the table every evening when my husband got home.  "I" wanted to be the one that little dumplin has picnics with and reads stories to him throughout the day.  I wanted to be June Freaking Cleaver with a house that smelled like clean laundry and fresh baked cookies and a husband that had a packed lunch in a little brown bag and got a huge hug every evening when he got home from work.  Is that really too much to ask? 
Who's the Chef now? :)
Scott knew I was struggling to find a balance between the 3 roles.  While he was a huge help with laundry and cooking meals, I knew he wasn't thrilled at the idea of making casseroles and sorting dark and light colored clothing.  He never complained and he supported me in every way possible, but it wasn't enough to ease the nagging in my mind and heart.  Something needed to give and that something was the 40+ hours I spent a week at work. 

I didn't want to pull myself out of the workforce completely because I enjoy working.  I enjoy spending time with my peers and contributing my knowledge to an organization.  I like feeling "needed" and having a professional purpose. And I like contributing financially to my family.  I presented my boss with a part-time proposal.  Yes, it was a shot in the dark being that our office is very lean and going part-time would impact the other 8 people that I worked closely with.  Still, it was an option I at least needed to explore.  Going part-time seemed to be the best of both worlds as I would fulfill my need to contribute to society but I would also get more time with my boy and be able to run our household the way I feel I should.  My boss tossed the proposal around in his head for roughly a month before he told me he couldn't figure out a way to make it work.  It was hard to hear, but I understood.  At that moment I knew my time in the corporate world was limited.
See this face or sit in my cube...Hmmm... :)
The saying "When God closes a door he opens a window..." is so very true.  Scott and I talked a lot about if I would be happy if I gave up work completely and the answer made us a little nervous.  During this time, I got a call from a friend that works at a local university.  She said she had a part-time job in the HR Department that she was currently hiring for.  She mentioned the job was from Feb. through Sept., then I would be off completely from Sept. through Feb.  I would basically have my cake and eat it too...working part-time 1/2 the year and having the fall/holidays completely off.  And.. as if that doesn't sound heavenly enough, the university is 10 minutes from my house.  Currently, I was driving 45 minutes one way to my office. 
My whole world in my arms
Scott and I knew the pay cut was the only negative factor to my leaving the corporate world.  I have to admit as my last day came upon me, I was nervous.  Not because I doubted I was making the right decision, but I felt like I was losing a tiny part of myself.  This was a completely selfish thought, but it's important that I admit that thought did cross my mind.  I also knew it was going to be hard leaving the co-workers that had become very good friends over the years.  They deserve a post of their own as I got through a lot of rough days by leaning on them. 

So, I accepted the job at the university and put in my notice in the corporate world.  My last day came and went and yes there were tears...but there was also relief.  The right decision isn't always easy, but it is worth it.  I will never look back and say, "I wish I hadn't spent so much time with my dumplin." 
"Did you say I get more time with my mom?"
I'm looking forward to working on a college campus and getting to know new people.  I'm also looking forward to play dates and trips to the zoo.  Change is good. Now if you excuse me, I have a afternoon book reading date with my little fish. 

Like this blog?  Leave a comment! Feedback makes me happy! :)

Comments

  1. Kara, what a wonderful time it will be for going part time. You will have wonderful days with P and relaxing evenings with Scotty! I am so happy for your family. Look how you and Rhea turned out. Pretty good if I say so myself. It is important to be with your children. I am so happy you are able to do it. Enjoy every second, because babies grow up quick. Look at my baby, now a Mommy! Love U!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More