Weekend Getaway to Brown County!!

I mentioned to dear husband, "Husband, I really think we need to plan a getaway."  And with that sentence, he booked us a weekend at the Cornerstone Inn, in Brown County!  I was more than happy with that plan.

(Image courtesy of http://www.cornerstoneinn.com/)

I hadn't been to Brown County in years, so I was so excited to see the area.  We left Friday afternoon and checked into the Cornerstone Inn about 8pm.  Scott has a co-worker that recommended this Bed & Breakfast, so we had high expectations!! Upon our arrival, the friendly desk clerk told us there were evening snacks in the kitchen area.  Not one to miss out on snacks, Scott and I headed downstairs to the kitchen area.  We were greeted with brownies, Pumpkin cheesecake bars, and cookie bars.  After snacking, we loaded up a plate with extra goodies for later, and headed to our room to check out our home for the next few days.  
(Image courtesy of http://www.cornerstoneinn.com/)
Our room was a small walk from the Main Inn.  It was a two story condo that was complete with a balcony, fireplace, and one of the most awesome beds I've ever seen.  It had a small kitchen area and a gliding couch, yes, a gliding couch.  I didn't even know they made couches that moved.  Everything in the room was so new!  The bathroom was breathtaking!  The garden tub was so big that Scott and I could both lay down in it, side by side, and not be the slightest bit crowded.  Yes, we tried it out. :) 

Love this bed...
We were starving by this time (9pm) so we ventured out into the little town to find some dinner.  We quickly noticed the streets were dead! As in, we had the entire place to ourself. 

We stuck our head into various restaurants, but were continually greeted with a "closed" sign.  We figured out it must be off-season for the touristy town because nothing was open at 9pm on a Friday night. 

Luckily we stumbled upon a place called Harvest Moon.  It was a pizza joint and the place was dead.  They were still open, so we grabbed a table.  The pizza was warm and filled our stomachs, but Scott made the comment that the pizza wasn't as good as my homeade pizza.  Smart boy!!!

Happy & Relaxed parents to be!

The nice thing about our Bed and Breakfast is that it is within walking distance from everything!  So after we finished eating, we had a nice little stroll back to our room.  As we climbed into bed, we brought our plate full of snacks to bed with us.  He knows how to keep his pregnant wife happy! 

We slept in the next morning until about 9.  The bed was so comfortable and sheets were some of the softest sheets we had ever slept in! They were so smooth and soft and it felt like sleeping on butter.  We headed back to the main Inn to grab breakfast.  We weren't disappointed with the biscuits and gravy, eggs, potatoes, and homemade sticky rolls.  Everything tasted so good!! 

We strolled through the town and looked in the cozy little shops.  Some of the cottages were made of stone and covered in ivy.  This gave the area a very fairytale like feel.  I loved it!  We stopped into a little coffee shop so Scott could get a drink.  (Yes, I will admit that I took a few sips of the warm cup of happiness).  It was here the barista (a middle-aged man) asked if I was pregnant! This was the first random person that has asked me! I was so excited that someone noticed my bump and didn’t think I was just pudgy! Scott said I should have told the man “no,” but I just couldn’t hide my excitement that someone noticed our baby!

After we explored the town, we headed to the state park to hike the trails.  We did two different trails and ended up walking around 4 miles of somewhat steep terrain.  It still looked very fall-ish, but the sun was out and it felt so good for us to be out in the fresh air.  The park wasn't crowded so we had the trails to ourselves.  After a few hours of exercise, we headed back to town to grab dinner. 

We parked ourselves at the Big Woods Brewing Company.  Who would have thought BBQ nachos would taste so delicious?  It was a great dinner and Scott and I made sure to save room for the desserts that were sure to be waiting for us in the main inn.  We weren't disappointed that evening as we saw the angel food cake, pecan pie squares, and cherry cheesecake.  Scott recommeded we head back to the room for the evening, open up the balcony door to get some fresh air, start the fireplace, and find a movie on tv.  Those were magic words to my ears. 

Morning came to soon and Scott and I left the comfort of the softest sheets ever.  Luckily the pancakes and breakfast casserole made the departure a little easier.  We bid farewell to our weekend getaway and headed back to Evansville.

For those of you following along for the pregnancy updates, fret not, here is your update;

This week we are 17 weeks along.  I can’t believe we are almost to the ½ way point!!! Scott and I are going to be changing diapers and listening to cooing noises before we know it. It’s so crazy because sometimes I don’t feel pregnant at all. The second trimester really is the “golden period.” I just feel like I’ve simply put on some weight, not that I am growing another human being. I’m not going to lie, I am absolutely loving this phase.

I’ve already started looking back on the first 17 weeks. So far, life as a pregnant girl hasn’t changed too many things. Obviously I have cut back on my caffeine. From 3-4 cups a week to a cup maybe every 2 weeks. I have also cut (as much as possible ) high fructose corn syrup out of our diet. This means reading the labels on everything from yogurt, BBQ sauce, fruit juice, and anything else you can imagine. While HFCS isn’t completely awful, one of the books I’ve been reading says we should steer clear of it. While I know it is impossible to completely cut it out, if there are items that we can easily replace that contain it, we go that route. I also know that there are a million different things that people say are good vs. bad while pregnant. For whatever reason, this is one of those things that I can easily abide by, so why not. Also, I’ve read that Aspartame isn’t exactly great for a fetus. So this means all of my flavored water drink mixes that I love so much have now been put on the top shelf until I birth this baby.

Between work, growing a baby, and weekend getaways, we are keeping ourselves pretty busy.  This is such an exciting time in our lives and we are trying to soak in every moment!

Like this blog?  Leave a comment!  Feedback makes me happy!  : )
                                          



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More