And we're Off.....

I figured a recap of our trip might be a little lengthy, so I’ll do it in a couple of sections. For those that just want a quick version… The trip was Ridiculously Amazing….

Packing for a trip generates a kind of excitement like no other, especially if it is a trip that includes heading west to the mountains. As I laid down in bed the night before we departed, I felt like a kid on Christmas Eve. The excitement of adventure was close enough for me to grasp but just a bit out of reach. I could barely sleep as I envisioned what the winter resort would look like, how much powder would be on the mountain, what ridiculous shenanigans our friends would get into, and if I was still the ski bunny I used to be.

We drove to Louisville to catch our flight. Scott and I were smart enough to share a checked bag, which ended up in a $40 savings. I had my coffee in hand and good spirits were plentiful. At the airport we met up with our group, in total, there were 11 of us. A few faces were new, others we had taken ski adventures with previously.

As we sat in the airport waiting for our departure, the airport was quickly filling up with families carrying red, white and blue balloons, and homemade signs. The signs said a variety of things from “Welcome Home” to “You’re family loves you.” As a stroller was rolled into view and cries of excitement reached my ears, I realized that orphans from Haiti were being brought home to their new families. As I caught a glimpse into one of the strollers and saw a tiny figure staring out wide eyed, tears quickly sprang to my eyes. Luckily, this tiny person will have no memory of the horror it has left behind. And what amazing fortune that this child will have a new life in this country with a loving family. With a heart that was suddenly mixed with a bit of sad for those that won’t see the same luck as this little baby, I boarded our first flight to Dallas.

The sky was pitch black as we reached our cruising altitude. Scott picked up his book and I stared out the window into the night sky. It was a cloudy evening and the captain announced we were headed into a storm. I watched as the lightening bolts grew closer and wondered exactly what would happen if our plane got hit by one of those bright jagged bolts. The clouds erupted with bolt after bolt as far as the eye could see. It was both a neat image as well as a bit eerie.

As we walked through the terminal in Dallas we learned our flight to SLC was going to be delayed due to the weather. Eleven disappointed passengers settled into our chairs to wait it out. At this point our group noticed a smaller group of passengers keeping to themselves in the corner. The women were dressed in what appeared to be multiple layers of scarves that looked worn and tattered. The men were in clothes to large for their stick like frames. Our group realized that these were some of the Haitians that the news had reported were making their way to families and friends in the U.S. They looked tired and kept to themselves. I wanted to buy them a sandwich, but all the airport restaurants were closed (it was well past 10pm). I wanted to talk to them but was torn. I didn’t even know if they spoke English? If I were in the same situation, would I want someone coming to talk to me?


The group stopping for a pre-flight beverage

I had never been pulled by so many emotions while sitting in the airport. I felt guilty that here I was taking a vacation with friends while these people sat a few feet away that carried everything they owned on their backs. I need to find a way to help those that are less fortunate. I may not be able to help the people of Haiti, but I will find a way to give back to others. Consider that my resolution for 2010.

We finally got called to board our flight. Our tired group took our seats and discussed plans for the following day. As we sailed through the night sky, a hot pink shape stared back at me from beyond the window. As I cocked my head trying to figure out what the heck it was, Scott said behind me, “Look at the moon.” It was just the bottom sliver of the moon, brighter pink than I had ever seen. I felt like the night was smiling at me. I wish my camera hadn’t been nestled safely out of my reach because it would have been an amazing picture.

As we landed in Salt Lake, our group rejoiced as the snow was literally being dumped from the heavens above. As we piled into our rental mini-van, we headed toward Park City. By the time we got to our condo and figured out who was sleeping where, it was 2:30. While being very excited to hit the slopes bright and early the next day, I knew that alarm at 6:30 was going to come way to fast…

Comments

  1. Kara you made me a bit teary eyed about the babies from Haiti. We are so very lucky and blessed with all we have. Momma

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

Simple Mistakes or Something More

Loss