Perfectly Normal Day

I'm getting a jump start on the Valentine holiday and letting the sap pour out in this post.  I'd blame it on hormones, but I don't think that's it...instead, just a mixture of immersion in life and its fleetingness.
My grandparents, Florence & Vic

Last night I dreamt of my Grandma Florence.  She passed away this past November.  In my dream we were talking and laughing and it was as real as a dream could be.  When I woke up I thought "we'll visit her today!"  Within that same minute I remembered she had passed and my heart became heavy.  I snuggled in closer to my husband who quickly replaced my sadness with his warmth.

In the typical morning fashion, fruit was washed and peeled, Scott headed out the door to work, and I caught a glimpse of the morning news over the sleep tousled hair of my wee ones.  The sun was throwing beams through the blinds and the blue skies promised a beautiful (albeit cold) day.

After the Cheerios and fruit had been eaten, sticky fingers were washed and hair combed.  I got the babies dressed and quickly washed my own face.  We were out the door by 8:10, only 10 minutes later then we needed to be.  As we cruised down the interstate, Paisley pointed out cement trucks, various colored semi's, and flocks of birds headed south.  I loved listening to his chatter and catching a glimpse of his porcelain skin in the rear view mirror.  As he stared out the window taking in the fields and other cars, I could only imagine the million thoughts that flew through his mind.

Behind my seat Lila squealed and jabbered in her sweet 1 year old voice.  Paisley gave me updates on what she was doing, "Lila is trying to take her boots off...Lila pulled her socks off...." etc.  I sang along to the radio while soaking in the sun and the warmth of the car.  The passing vehicles probably wondered why I was driving down the road with a smile on my face.

Once we arrived in town, we met up with my mother so she could watch Paisley while Lila and I attended KinderMusik.  I love having that 1-on-1 time with Lila each week.  For the next 45 minutes I got to focus on my youngest and witness her enjoying the music, moving to the beat, and interacting with her peers.  After class it has become a tradition to meet up with mom and Paisley at Donut Bank for coffee and donuts.  Both kids love the chocolate donut holes and sipping their milk while my mom and I catch up.

Mom volunteered to sit in the car with the kids while I ran into the store to do the grocery shopping.  I don't mind shopping with the kids, but it's also nice to have 20-30 minutes to myself while finding dryer sheets and vacuum bags.  As I was in line to check out, an elderly man (late 70's to early 80's) pushed his cart in line behind me.  He had on a brown leather coat and paperboy hat.  I smiled to myself as he reminded me so much of my grandfather Vic, that had passed away 2 years ago this past December.  He must have caught the smile on my face because he walked closer and pointed to my 2 gallons of milk on the conveyor belt.  "You must like milk!" he said with a smile.  He was friendly like my grandfather.  I told him about my 2 little babies that love milk and go through a gallon quicker then I can get back to the store.  That started a conversation that lasted the next 10 minutes while we waited in line.  He told me about the passing of his wife and how he has to do the shopping now.  He spoke of traveling with his wife and that Yellowstone was their favorite vacation spot.  He spoke of growing up on a farm with cows and pigs.  As I paid for my groceries and bid him farewell, he wished me a wonderful vacation and life.  As I pushed my cart outside into the sunny cold day, I busted into tears.  It was like I had just had a conversation with my grandfather.  I knew at that moment between the dream of my grandmother and my conversation with this grandfather figure, my grandparents were watching down on my little family.  They are still involved even though I can't physically see or talk to them.

There's nothing glamorous about motherhood,
yet it is the most beautiful thing.
As I got back in the car with my mom and babies, I filled my mother in on the sweet old man.  We talked about our upcoming vacation and loved on the kids.  It doesn't slip my mind each week that my mom meets us in town so she can spend a few hours with the kids and I, and watch Paisley while Lila and I are in class.  I appreciate her time.  I appreciate her loving my babies.  Spending time with her causes a peaceful feeling to settle into my soul.  I love my time with her so very much, even if it's only a handful of hours.

As we were preparing to drive home, Scott called and asked if I could pick up the tv from the repair shop.  It doesn't fit under his camper shell, but fits in the SUV, which is why he asked if I could pick it up.  He sent me the address of the place as well as a picture of what the building looked like.  He's cute and thorough like that.  15 minutes and 1 television later, we were back on the interstate heading home. Paisley talked about how much fun he had with Nana and that he loved the donuts, while Lila quickly closed her eyes and drifted off to the land of soft bunnies and unicorns.

Halfway home my oldest gave in to his heavy eyelids and my two sleeping angels snoozed silently from the backseat leaving me alone with my thoughts and the open road.

Today wasn't a special day.....I didn't wake up to a spotless house or breakfast in bed....but I woke up.  I woke up in a warm house, next to my faithful and loving husband.  I woke up to 2 precious healthy babies that love me, that need me, and rely on me to feed them and care for them.  Things that I am able to do for them daily, without giving it a second thought.

I was able to spend time with my mom today.  It wasn't a lot of time, and it wasn't relaxing by any means....but it was time with my mom.  I was surrounded by strangers that held open doors, that commented on my cute babies, that loaded a heavy tv into my car, that shared stories of their lives.  I saw friends today.  They were quick visits to exchange ski pants and jam berries, but I got to see them, to say "hi."

Tonight I'll be cooking dinner, bathing little ones, and folding laundry.  It won't be particularly romantic, I'll most likely have on my pajamas by 6:30.  But I'll be eating dinner with my family.  I'll be singing lullabies and saying prayers.  And when 1/2 of the family is tucked away in their beds, I'll get to curl up on the couch and watch Gone Girl with the guy that makes me feel loved and beautiful each and everyday.  It will be the perfect end to my perfectly normal day.

It's not big things or events that make life perfect.  It's the people.  It's the little moments.  It's taking what you have and loving it with every bit of yourself.  It's finding joy in talking to strangers and remembering that family that has passed into the next life really isn't that far away.  It's loving those around you and receiving their love.  It's taking a perfectly normal day and being incredibly grateful.      



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

Simple Mistakes or Something More

Loss