Making Merry


In my 30+ yrs in this life, I have never submerged myself quite into Christmas as I have this year.  Our Christmas fir has been filling the house with its sweet scent since the weekend after Thanksgiving.  Christmas cards were addressed and sent by December 3rd.  We've taken the kids to 3 different Christmas events and I'm sure (with 12 days until Christmas) we'll do at least one more.  Our collection of children's Christmas books are stationed in the living room ready to be looked at and read each and every day.  I have submerged myself into a sea of Christmas and I've taken my family with me.

Our first visit with Santa is what we'll call the trial run.  There was no way the kids were sitting on Santa's lap without Scott and I.  So we all piled in the big guys chair and had a family picture taken.


A few weeks later when we ran into him on the streets of New Harmony, the kids were much more comfortable sitting on his lap.  Paisley even told him what he wanted for Christmas....an umbrella.  


Having a real Christmas tree is a tradition that Scott and I started in 2007, our first Christmas together.  Now that we have 2 very active children, having a real tree (or any tree) is an experience in itself.  They are both so fascinated with watching me water the tree every day.  I'm sure the wet spots i've found on the carpet throughout the season was water meant for the tree to drink, not for the kids to play in.  

The pine needles that have fallen off the tree have become a sort of prize for both children.  Paisley likes loading up the needles in his dump trucks and hauling them about the house.  This is how the pine needles have navigated into every room in the house, not just the room the tree is located in.  Lila has discovered she likes the taste of pine needles.  More times then I can count I have fished the needles out of her mouth when I notice her chewing.  Note to parents, pine needles pass through the intestines of a 1yr old just fine.  
Last year I learned that breakable ornaments go at the top of the tree and the ones that can withstand the manhandling go lower.  This was a smart move as Lila can often be found carrying an ornament in each hand.  Paisley has learned that the hooks can "hurt Lila," so he takes them from her like a good big brother.  Then, like any young boy that has seen his dad stick a toothpick in his mouth after every meal....Paisley uses the ornament hook like a toothpick, despite me telling him numerous times not to put hooks in his mouth.
The presents have been wrapped and are quietly nestled below the tree.  The kids don't realize the prizes they contain because they have (surprisingly) completely ignored them.  Our elf on the shelf (Peppermint Stick) has moved in for the month, but I'm not at all crafty with him as he has sat in the same place since the beginning of December.  

Scott and I agree the weeks leading up to Christmas are nothing short of magic.  The anticipation of Christmas Day, the spirit that moves into your heart this time of year, the twinkling lights and frost covered ground in the early morning.  Sure our kids spilled the egg nog and a patch of lights on the tree don't work, but this really is the most wonderful time of year.  Now if only the play kitchen hiding in our basement would assemble itself.....




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

Simple Mistakes or Something More

Loss