Bunnies, Eggs and LOTS of Chocolate

I have always loved celebrating holidays.  I love everything about the decor, the atmosphere, the gathering of family and the abundance of food.  Having a little person to share these holidays with and teach our family traditions to have made holidays even more enjoyable than they were before. 
The girls and P with the traditional bunny cake
This Easter was no exception.  With my sister splitting her time between cities we were forced to celebrate Easter with my side of the family twice (oh the horror of having 2 parties instead of 1!).  The weekend prior to Easter everyone gathered at my parents house.  Paisley got to enjoy his Easter basket from Nana and Papaw and we dined on ham with all the fixings.  My dad thought it would be funny to spray Paisley with silly string, he didn't find it amusing, nor did his Nana.  Nor did his momma.  Actually the only person who really enjoyed seeing the fear in my child's eyes was his dear Aunt Bunny.  She's got a twisted sense of humor and I wasn't surprised as she laughed loudly while I wiped the tears out of P's eyes.  However, it was a fun day and my child will officially hate silly string for the rest of his life.  And Karma will probably find a way to get my father and sister back for scarring my poor child.
Post-silly string incident (no laughing at my poor baby)
The following weekend was actually Easter.  We spent Saturday at the nursing home of my grandmother.  There was an Easter egg hunt and all the nursing home residents sat in their wheelchairs in the hallway passing out eggs to the children.  With this being P's first egg hunt I wasn't really sure what he would think of it.  I was surprised, literally to tears, as my child held out his little bunny covered bucket to each of the elderly residents, and as they placed eggs in his basket he would give them a huge smile, wave his chubby fingers, and attempt to say "Thank you," which sounded more like "shoo shoo."  Each resident received the same smile and wave, as if he knew exactly what was happening.  My heart soared and I was so proud of my happy, friendly, and appreciative little boy. 
The Best of the Best...I've learned from my mom who learned from her mom...
We enjoyed spending the time with Great-Grandma Florence.  We pushed her along with us and she was on double duty, passing out eggs to children we passed while getting to watch her great-grandson gather eggs.  She loved spending the time with him and I was so happy we were able to spend the time with her.  The nursing home had hot dogs and chips for everyone so P and his Great were able to have snack time together.  He was more interested in playing peek-a-boo with her, but he did manage to eat a little something.
Mr. Big Heart
On Easter it was back to my parents for a friend chicken meal.  Paisley got another Easter basket (yes, they gave him 2...) and Scott and I got ours as well.  No matter how full my belly, there is always room for Cadbury Mini-Eggs and Reese Peanut Butter Eggs. My Easter basket contained some cute maternity shirts which were much needed as this belly just keeps getting bigger and bigger (that could be the fault of the mini-eggs and not the baby).
Nana and her Easter orchid
After a great lunch with my parents we headed to Scott's parents where more food and additional baskets of candies and gifts were bestowed upon us.  Paisley enjoyed running around with his cousins and as the night wore on, we could tell our baby was full of sugar and running low on energy, a dangerous combination.  It was time to head home.
Cousins
I'm pretty sure I got the sticky colorful film of jelly beans off his face before he fell into a deep sleep.  I know his dreams were full of deviled eggs (which he liked!), chocolate bunnies, and plastic eggs as he drifted off into dreamland.
Our little bunny
The reason for the holiday was not completely lost upon our boy.  Even though we visited the Easter Bunny and feasted upon good food and candies, he heard the story of our Lord that died upon the cross and rose again on the third day.  He loves the story of the Good Shepard and points out the little lambs while saying "Baaaaa."  While I don't blog about our beliefs or religion often, it is in our minds and hearts and in the mind and heart of our little.  And to us, that is exactly where it needs to be.
Happy Easter!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

Simple Mistakes or Something More

Loss