Just Because...


In the morning when I scoop him out of his crib and cover his soft warm face with kisses, he says "MaaMaa" in a slow, dreamy, sweet 18 month old voice like there is no other person he would rather see. 

As we snuggle in the recliner first thing in the morning, he puts one arm around my stomach and buries his head into my chest.  I kiss his fuzzy blond head good morning and tell him how much I love him.  Soon after, he asks "Dadda?"

Sitting in his high chair, he smiles as he knows his breakfast is coming.  When I forget to give him a spoon,  he'll point his little finger at the drawer, look at me with a smile and say "poon?"

He wants to play all day.  He wants to play tickle and chase and peek-a-boo and read book after book.  He'll grab a book in each hand and run towards me full throttle.  We head to the recliner and he can't climb into my lap fast enough.  I ask if he wants me to cover him with a blanket and he emphatically shakes his head yes.  He will sit still as long as I'm reading.  I love the way his eyes carefully comb over each page as if this isn't the 525th time we've read that book this week.  He carefully listens and should I stop reading for even a minute, he'll turn his head and look at me as if asking "why did you stop?"

As I run his bath I let him pick out which bath toys he wants to play with.  He carefully looks into the basket and selects 3 toys.  Right now favors his green frog and two colorful cups.  He throws them in to the tub and tries to lift one of his legs over the edge.  As he realizes he isn't quite tall enough, he quickly grabs my hands and wants to be lifted in. 

The Tupperware drawer is a magical place for this kid.  The drawer sticks a little so he puts his entire weight into pulling it open.  He'll grunt like he's lifting weight and sure enough the drawer will slowly slide open.  He stares down into it as he carefully selects which item he wants to pull out.  Sometimes it's a large round lid, which quickly becomes a steering wheel that he drives around the house.  Sometimes it's a small Cool Whip bowl that he will take into his room and fill with his small treasures. 

He's mastered climbing up on our bed, which is pretty high off the ground.  I'll notice he has become quiet and I will go off in search of him.  He will be laying on his back in our bed, sheets pulled up to his chin, smiling and waiting for someone to come find him.  He'll giggle and cover up his face as I curl up next to him.

I'll rock him during nap time, he rests his head under my chin with his arms wrapped around me.  He'll sometimes rub my arm as he drifts off to sleep.  I listen to his breath change and feel his body get warmer as it always does when he sleeps.  I'll kiss his head and face until he almost wakes up.  I'll pick up his hands and kiss his little fingers.  Sometimes his eyes will open just enough to see what is going on.  As he notices it is his momma, a little smile will cross his face and he'll fall back into a sound slumber.

As the sun sets and the 3 of us are gathered at the kitchen table, Paisley will look from Scott to I, pointing and saying "Momma, Dadda, Momma Dadda."  He'll eye our plates to make sure we aren't eating something that isn't on his plate.  He'll occasionally smile and randomly wave at one of us as if saying "I'm glad we're all here." 

He asks to see the moon each night.  On cloudy evenings he's disappointed that he can't find it. On clear nights he'll blow it a kiss and wave.  It always makes him smile.  

His occasional naughty streak sneaks up on all of us.  He can be playing nicely and suddenly he's in our bedroom emptying our dresser drawers.  As the mess is discovered, he'll gather up a handful of clothes, run past you and throw the clothes in various rooms of the house.  After being caught and told that his actions were naughty, he'll give me a kiss and go back to playing to nicely. 

As bedtime nears and our little angel is dressed in his sleeper, he'll rub his eyes and tuck his head into the groove of my neck.  We waves bye-bye to his daddy as I carry him into his room.  I tuck him in under his blankets and run my hand over his cheeks.  I tell him how much I love him and that I hope he has sweet dreams.  I leave my heart in his crib as I walk back into the living room, excited to do it all again tomorrow.
  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More