See You on the Other Side


My Grandpa Mike, always in my heart
The passing of a loved one can knock the wind out of your sails.  It's a time to go back in your memory bank and retrace every footstep you took with the deceased.  It's a time to gather with family and remember the good times.  I am so blessed to have all my grandparents but one, my Grandpa Mike. 

His death was a massive heart attack in the middle of the night.  There was no warning, there was no way to prepare.  I remember sitting at work when my mom called me and told me.  It was awful.  After his death, I would literally see him everywhere.  I would see him walking down the mall, driving in his car, he would come to me in my dreams.  Was it really him, of course not.  But do I think he was and continues to be near, watching over me and my family?  Absolutely.  I would trade a day off my own life if it would give my grandpa a chance to meet my husband and son.  I can only hope someday, on the other side, they get the opportunity to meet.

This past weekend Scott lost his grandmother,
Scott's Grandma Jeanne with our son and niece and nephew
she was his last living grandparent.  Her death makes my heart a little heavier because she is the first relative my son has lost in his short life.  Someday he will look back at pictures of her holding him and he will ask me about her.  I'm so thankful for their 9 months together.  While we knew her cancer was not curable, it doesn't soften the pain from her passing.  We can only say our good-byes and rejoice that she has joined her husband who passed 3 years ago.   

I love when there is a song that says exactly what my heart feels. Here you go;

Well, hope is an anchor and love is a ship:
Time is the ocean an' life is a trip.
You don't know where you're goin' till you know where you're at,
And if you can't read the stars, well, you better have a map:
A compass and a conscience so you don't get lost at sea,
Around some old lonely island where no one wants to be.


From the beginning of creation, I think our Maker had plan,
For us to leave these shores and sail beyond the sand.
An' let the Good Light guide us through the waves and the wind,
To the beaches in a world where we have never been.
And we'll climb up on the mountain, y'all: we'll let our voices ring,
When those who've never tried it, they'll be the first to sing.


Whoa, my, my:
I'll see you on the other side if I make it.
And it might be a long hard ride but I'm gonna take it.
Sometimes it seems that I don't have a prayer:
I let the weather take me anywhere,
But I know that I wanna go where the streets are gold,
'Cause you'll be there.
Oh, my, my.

Well, you don't bring nothin' with you here and you can't take nothin' back.
I ain't never seen a hearse with a luggage rack.
So I've torn my knees up prayin', scarred my back from fallin' down.
Spent so much time flyin' high, till I'm face first in the ground.
So if you're up there watchin' me, would you talk to God and say:
Tell him I might need a hand to see you both some day.


Oh, my, my:
So I'll see you on the other side if I make it.
And it might be a long hard ride but I wanna take it.
Sometimes it seems that I don't have a prayer:
I let the weather take me anywhere,
But I know that I wanna go where the streets are gold,
'Cause you'll be there. (You'll be there.)
Oh, my, my.
'Cause you'll be there. (You'll be there.)
Oh, my, my.

-George Strait "I'll See You on the Other Side"

Like this blog? Leave a comment! Feedback makes me happy! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

Simple Mistakes or Something More

Loss