Higher Education (Part-Two)

*This blog is a continuation of Higher Education (Part-One)

My first job post-college, not too shabby (Image courtesy of Google)
After graduation, I accepted my first "real" job in the "real" world.  It was glorious and I loved the fast pace.  It didn't hurt that the company was a major shoe retailer.  I had my own little cube that I promptly decorated with pictures and a cute little green cactus. 

After our "little" fish joined the world in August, I used every second of my FMLA to spend with him.  When that time expired in October, I wasn't ready to return to work.  I felt sick to my stomach and in my heart to leave our baby.  Not that he wasn't in very capable and loving hands (his grandmothers), they weren't my hands.  And this bothered me.
I have always lived under the belief the God gives you what you need, when you need it.  Sometimes Most of the time his plan is not a perfect match with your own plan, but you just have to put faith in him and hold on for the ride.  So that is what Scott and I did.  And then I got a phone call.  A fabulous girlfriend that had previously worked with me at the shoe company called and said she knew of a position at the university that would become available over the next few months.  It was an HR job, that ran March-August, and I'd be off September-March completely.  It sounded pretty sweet.
USI-My new home away from home (Image courtesy of Google)
Fast forward the interview, the offer, my letter of resignation, the first day of work, the first month, etc. There I sat at the university, in my apartment.  Yes, I have an apartment.  It's an apartment that gets converted to an office during the summer months.  In my "office" I have a desk, computer, phone, and a set of bunk beds.  I laugh every morning as I kiss Scott good-bye and tell him I'm on the way to my apartment. Prior to taking this job, I hadn't stepped foot in an apartment on campus since my freshman year.  Talk about a flood of memories!!

Campus has changed a lot in the 6 years since graduation.  It's a lot bigger, there are more options for food (they even added a fro-yo stand), Forum 1 doesn't look quite as big as when I had class in there, and I don't get that anxious/nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach  when I drive to campus like I used to.    
There's not a sacrifice in the world I wouldn't make for this little guy
But as different as campus looks, there are things that haven't changed a bit.  There is the sense of excitement and endless possibilities.  I smile as I pass tables of students discussing their impending Biology quiz and where they are going Thursday night.  You can still spot the women's basketball players with their athletic shorts, pony-tails, and height!  It's still difficult to get a decent parking spot despite having 3 bays to choose from.   Security still drives around in their white SUV's and several of my professors are still professors (and some of them were OLD when I was here!).  In some ways it feels like I never left.

If feels good to be back.  Some days I have to remind myself that I don't have any homework to do and there is not a pop quiz waiting around the corner ready to surprise me.  Those reminders keep me breathing easy.  It was an easy transition going "back to college" and while I miss seeing my friends at the shoe-zoo, this was the right decision for the Fisher3. 

For the girl that never wanted to go to college, here I sit, happy as can be, and glad to be back. 

Like this blog? Leave a comment! Feedback makes me happy! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More