Life in Labor and Delivery


The location of P's upcoming (first) vacation...St. Petersburg, FL

You know how the night before vacation, you have a hard time sleeping because you think of everything you need to do/pack and you are so bloody excited?  Well the night before checking into the hospital for a long term stay is kind of the same way, minus the surge of excitement. 

I laid in bed and watched the sun stream through the window as my husband silently snoozed next to me.  Alone with my thoughts, I realized that this would be the last time I would wake up in our bed without a baby in the next room.  I then had a mini moment of panic.  All this time, I had been so focused on P's health, keeping him in there, and just getting through one day at a time that I hadn't taken the time to think about post-delivery.  Once I have this baby...we will have a baby!  Cripes!  That thought scared the daylights out of me.  Obviously I knew we were having a baby, but there has been so many other issues that I had to process first that I am just now realizing that soon, very soon, bouncing baby boy is going to take up residence out of my womb and in our spare room!  What if he doesn't like me? Or what if I don't hear him wake up in the middle of the night and he starves before morning?  How do we raise him so he doesn't become a serial killer?  Yes, those are all thoughts that ran through my mind before 7am. 

Image courtesy of Google
I may have taken the longest shower ever that morning.  Knowing that long showers won't be a common occurrence once P is here, I used every drop of hot water we had.  I conditioned, shaved, loofahed and used every other bath product our home contained.  It was wonderful.  As Scott woke up and we finished packing, we had one final pre-baby date.  He took me to IHOP for pancakes.  I have craved and enjoyed pancakes this entire pregnancy.  That morning was no exception.  I smothered my warm cakes in warm maple syrup and savored every second of our date. It ended far too soon and before I knew it, we were pulling up in front of the hospital.

The check in process was very quick and smooth.  I was put in the same room I had previously been in during our overnight in May.  Scott went to work getting our toiletries put in the bathroom and unpacking our bag.  Soon enough we had transformed our hospital room into a make shift studio apartment.  The room is a nice size and I have 1 wall that is all windows facing the west.  While it's not ideal to hang out in a hospital room for 5+ weeks, the set-up makes it a lot easier to swallow. 

Image courtesy of Google
The first few days flew by!  There are several privileges I am allowed that are quite enjoyable!  From 10pm-8am, my Dr has asked the nurses not to disturb us so we get to have quiet nights together and have uninterrupted sleep!  Since I'm not monitored at night I leave my hospital bed and curl up with Scott on the queen size air mattress (Thank you Cori!).  One night on the fold out couch was all it took for Scott to realize we needed a different sleeping arrangement.  Luckily our sweet friend quickly supplied us with an air mattress.

Everyday I am allowed a 1 hr wheelchair ride that I look so forward to!  Scott will take me towards the end of the day and we'll go outside for some fresh air.  At that time of the day the heat isn't so bad.  Scott would argue that statement as he's pushing around his non-size 4 wife and he usually breaks into a little sweat.

Image courtesy of Google

I am very fortunate to have the sweetest nurses.  They are all so good to Scott and I and take wonderful care of me and my little bump.  One even confessed to Scott (while I was in the bathroom) that I was the favorite patient on this floor.  The cleaning lady told me the other day that I was the happiest patient she had seen in a long time.  Mentally, I am at peace knowing I am exactly where I need to be.  It is comforting to know my Dr is close by and everyone is kind of on stand by waiting for P to make a move.  The situation is literally re-examined day by day to see how P is doing and if my uterus is wanting to evict its tenant. 

As of last Friday, P was measuring 3lbs 8oz. Yesterday we celebrated his 31wks in utero.  This week he should hit 4lbs based on how his weight has been trending.  We continue to hope he wants to have his birthday in August!!

Thank you again for the prayers and thoughts.  We'll keep you updated as we continue our adventure towards parenthood one day at a time.

Like this blog? Leave a comment! Feedback makes me happy!! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

Simple Mistakes or Something More

Loss