Back to School and our Pencils are Sharp!

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a nervous wreck the first day of Pre-K.  It's not because it was Paisley's first time going to school or because I was worried he wouldn't do well; we were entering into a "big" school, the local elementary school.  Gone were the days of the private nursery school and here we were with supply lists and book fees.  I wasn't ready, but the little guy was.  And that's all that mattered.
I think I was embarrassing him
The day before his first day of school, Paisley asked if we could run into town to get a few things he "needed" for school.  Knowing we had already purchased his school supplies, I asked what items he needed.  His response, "bath gel (peach scented) and a haircut."  How could I deny a boy who wanted to be well groomed and smell good?

Scott and I were very upbeat and excited towards Paisley about his first day at his new school.  I swallowed my fear and put on a smile as we ate a good breakfast and packed his backpack with sharp new crayons and enough glue sticks to craft for the next 3 years.  We took the traditional first day of school picture and down the road we went.

He was ready! So was his sister!
We had been in the class a few days prior during a meet-the-teacher event.  Paisley was able to introduce himself to her, see where he would hang his backpack and where he would sit.  Now here we were walking back into the classroom, but I would leaving fairly soon and he would take his seat next to his peers.  He got his supplies put away and took his seat at a table.  I was relieved ( I am sure he was too) that so many of the students in his class were children he had spent the last 2 years attending nursery school with.  Without a moment of hesitation, my big (little) boy gave me a kiss good-bye and I walked out the door.  I may have turned around to catch a peek and he was already busy coloring on the blank sheet of paper that had been placed in front of him.

Ready to go!
I didn't cry, but I did feel a small lump form in my throat.  Wasn't this boy just learning to say "Mama" a few years ago?  My happiness at having this confident boy that entered a new school like it was no big deal overtook the lump and kept it at bay.  I had wanted to tell his teacher so many things about him; like he can be very quiet but it's not because he's disinterested, but because he's taking in everything that is happening around him.  I wanted to tell her that he loves to be helpful and would happily help her with any tasks around the classroom.  I wanted to say that he can be sensitive and sometimes wears his heart on the very edge of his sleeve.  But I knew she would figure all that out.

Pick-up time rolled around and despite the clock showing he had only been gone for 3 hours, it felt much longer.  I wanted to hear every detail about everything.  As the door flew open at 2:45 and little people emerged into sunlight, heads spinning left and right looking for their parents, I saw a familiar blonde head step into the sunshine.  His blue eyes were sparkling and as they landed on my face, a huge smile erupted on his.  He sprinted my direction, his backpack bouncing with every step.  Arms wrapped around my waist and he was back in my protective arms.

School's out!!
As we walked to the car I asked if he had fun, a simple "yeah," followed by a smile and those twinkling eyes let me know that he had a good day.  I think he's going to do just fine in this new chapter of his life.  I think I will too.  



  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More