Thankful

So often a normal moment in life stops me in my tracks and causes the familiar warm sting to form in the corner of my eyes.  I am reminded of how great this world we live in is, and how kind its people can be.  I am reminded daily to give thanks to items that may not necessarily be what we want, but a blessing nonetheless.  
This man has my heart
Every morning I hear my husbands alarm chime well before the sun greets the day.  He quietly moves about the house, careful not to disturb sleeping babies.  Standing at the door in his ironed khakis and Polo, he kisses me good-bye and slips out in the cold morning air knowing he won't be back home until well after the sun has set.  It's a long work day that leaves him tired.  This chapter in our lives is plagued with long work hours and work calls throughout the night, but I am thankful.  I am thankful for this man that works so hard for our little family.  I am thankful for this job, despite its long hours, for providing for our family.

Vacation!!
In September Scott mentioned we needed to go on vacation, somewhere tropical, and without kids.  That started the ball in motion to plan a trip to Jamaica and get away for 4 days while the kids stayed with their grandparents (Jamaica post coming soon!).  I am thankful that he sees the importance of getting away from it all.  The importance of reconnecting as husband and wife and not just daddy and mommy.  I am thankful that out of all the people in this world, he chose me to share this life with.  

While in Jamaica, I self-consciously slipped into my bikini and cover.  This body and I have had our ups and downs over the years and with that comes a love and hate relationship.  I wish my thighs were smaller and tummy tighter, but I am thankful for what I have.  This body has allowed me to ski in the Alps, hike the Tetons, waddle among penguins in Antarctica, snorkel in Hawaii and created children more perfect then I could have imagined.  I am thankful that it allows me to complete any activity I try and gives my children something soft and warm to cuddle.  

Our Christmasy angels
This week the kids had Christmas Kindermusik.  It's a fun Christmasy class that's full of Christmas music and wintry activities.  The kids and I were in class waiting to begin when the door opened and my sister walked in.  I was shocked and surprised and at first super confused why she was there. I had mentioned to her earlier in the week about the class but knew she was supposed to be performing a cataract surgery. Yet here she was, dressed in scrubs, ready to spend the next 45 minutes with the tiny people in her life.  I am thankful for family that loves my children the way I do.  I am thankful for her time, it was more important to me than any material object she could have given my children or I.   

Scott and I would not have been able to take a vacation if we didn't have the support of both sides of our family.  When we first mentioned going on a trip, Scott's mom asked "Who will keep the babies?"  Then quickly offered her home to watch them.  As my mom heard the news of our trip she asked, "When do I get them?"  Having parents that want to spend time with our children, who want to love on them and care for them is one of the greatest blessings next to having children.  It's something we are all 4 thankful for!

As we move about each day, I teach our children to be thankful for the little things; for the man that held the door open as we walked into Chick-fil-a, to the grocery clerk that carried my bags to the car because each of my hands held a little hand, to the mail lady that brought our mail to the door so I wouldn't have to walk down our long driveway in the rain, to our friends that share their lives with us.    We are so lucky.  We are so thankful.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More