Full Friday

It's early.  Scott has already left for work and the babies are still snoozing in their beds.  As I sip my iced coffee and look out over the sunrise coming up above the cornfields, my heart swells with love and happiness from all that surround me.

It's a typical Friday but feels as special as a holiday weekend.  Scott started a new job a couple weeks ago.  With the raise in pay comes the raise in responsibilities.  His hours have gotten longer and the demands are greater.  In those few short weeks we've had to adjust our lives and learn our new normal.  Dinner is on the table a little later, the kids get less time with Scott before bed, and I'm up a good hour earlier to have a few moments with Scott before he leaves for work.  It's hard.  I wouldn't say I like it, but we're doing it.  We're taking the time when he is home and squeezing every bit of it with 2 hands.
Birthday dinner
This week has been hot.  Southern Indiana isn't holding back any heat or humidity this June.  The kids handle it like troopers and we venture out without hesitation.  Monday we joined my parents at a tavern for dinner to celebrate my dads birthday.  I can't find words to express the gratefulness I am for time with my parents.  It was just dinner, but it was more than that.  It was time with the people that love me and my little family more than anything else.  It's time with people that make my children giggle and scoop them in their arms covering them with kisses and snuggles.  It was just a dinner that I wouldn't trade for anything.
Blue Angels
Yesterday what started out as a normal dentist appointment downtown turned into an incredible air show over the Ohio River.  I had forgotten the Blue Angels were in town for a festival and just about hit the deck when I saw fighter jets flying overhead.  Luckily my mom quickly reminded me about the air show and we walked down Main Street to watch the jets.  Paisley loved them and would have watched them all day while little sister thought they were neat until they buzzed us and the sound sent her scurrying to my arms where she eventually fell asleep (who sleeps during a fighter jet show?!).

Love
Last night we headed back into town for dinner with friends.  These dear friends that stood by us in our wedding and visited my bedridden self while I grew our baby Paisley are beginning a new adventure and moving to another state.  The selfish part of us hates that they are leaving, but a bigger part of us is so excited for their new adventure.  Sitting around their table catching up on life and talking about the future was exactly what Scott and I needed.  Friends have the ability to breathe fresh air into your lungs when the day to day has stolen a little of your wind.

A pretty strong thunderstorm blew through last night.  The news gave us good warning and I took it seriously enough to take down all my hanging flower baskets and tuck them safely in our garage.  The winds kicked up and our house creaked.  Despite the storm arriving well past our bedtime, Scott and I stood in the kitchen and watched the storm roll in across the field.  We lost electricity at the beginning of the storm, leaving us in a pitch black house and the heat outside trying to seep in the cracks.  It was beautiful and a little scary.  Our eyes finally grew too heavy to stay up and we made our way to bed.  I listened to Scott drift off to sleep and the storm raged on outside.  I was happy to hear the power come back to life around 3am.  

Today our plans consist of a bubble blowing event at the library and waiting for daddy to come home from work with a pizza (after all, every Friday is pizza Friday).  We may go camping this weekend or we may head back downtown to take in another air show.  Sometimes not having a plan set in stone is the best plan.

This life I live isn't what I ever pictured my life would like....it's so much better.  

Comments

  1. What a fun recap. Congrats to Scott on his new job. That's exciting and sounds like it'll require a little bit to get used to it. Your new morning routine of quiet sounds nice. Hope you have a great weekend with your family. Sometimes the unplanned moments end up being the favorites. That's a lesson I'm learning again and again as a mom :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More