A New York Reception

As our party entered Club 21, I glanced at the swanky setting and the yuppies sipping aged whisky in their sport coats.  I sent up a quick prayer that my children would not break anything, scream to loudly, or spill anything on anyone other than their father or I. We sat at a table near the bar for drinks and appetizers.  Scott and I were daring enough to try "most" of what was served...

I may have been the only person in the entire building carrying a diaper bag and dried cranberries, but I "think" our little group blended into the setting nicely.


We headed downstairs to the wine cellar where dinner was waiting. We had to pass through the kitchen on the way downstairs which was interesting!  I was going to help the chef cook a thick filet, but since I was holding the baby I figured I better not get too close to the open flame.


As the heavy door to the cellar swung open, I peered into the windowless room and felt my breath catch ever so slightly.  I'm not one to feel like I'm suffocating in enclosed spaces, but I was slightly uneasy to walk through the dim passage into the beautiful dining room.  Side note....Having children has instilled some silly anxieties that I didn't have pre-children.  Driving over bridges, bear attacks, and tight spaces make me uneasy these days.  Strange. 

The small passageway to the dining room held wine bottles from famous people that had eaten in the cellar.  A few of those people included T. Boone Pickens, Chelsea Clinton, President Ford, President Nixon, James Stewart, and Eva Gabor, just to name a few.

I swallowed my fear of the underground room and took my seat at the beautiful long table.  There were more wine glasses at each place setting than in my entire wine glass collection at home.  Our bottoms had barely hit the seat before the glasses were filled with red and white wines.

As Sinatra played in the background the courses began, with each course better than the last.  I was roughly 3 courses in when I realized I was getting full and the best was yet to come!  Since we were away from the general public, I wasn't as nervous about the kids causing a scene or being too loud.  My only concern was for the hundreds of wine bottles that surrounded us and hoping Paisley didn't want to yank one out of the wall.

We ate and sipped wine, we gave toasts and ate some more.  There was laughter and stories and passing the babies from one set of arms to another.  There was more food and more wine and I may have nursed Lila in a small closet off the dining room surrounded by even more bottles of wine (that was a first).

Desserts were brought out and the cake was cut.  More wine was poured and the babies were falling asleep.  As much as I would have loved to have spent more of the evening sharing in the celebration, it was time to get our babes and head back to the hotel.  My parents wanted Paisley to spend the night in their room and Scott and I thought we may get better sleep if we let him.

After kissing the newlyweds good night and a final round of congratulations were spoken, we hailed some taxi's and disappeared into the New York night.

Our trip wasn't over just yet....up next, our final day in New York City!



Like this blog, leave a comment!  Feedback makes me happy! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More