Season of Change

It was 2007 and I just finished cheering at a BluCats football game.  I can't remember if we won or lost, but I remember leaving the game with my parents and heading to the car lot.  My Blazer (Hunter) was on its last leg and I needed a reliable set of wheels. 

Growing up I thought my dad knew a thing or two about vehicles, therefore if he said something was good, I took his advice.  As my eyes landed on a little 4-door blue/grey Honda Accord, I was sold.  Between the smooth test drive, price and low miles, my dad and I agreed we would welcome Sophia Honda Accord (yes, I name my vehicles) into the family.

As I drove home in my new car that night, I had no idea that this would be the vehicle that carried me home after my first date with my future husband.  I never imagined what the backseat would look like with a car seat buckled in the back.  Much less two car seats!  As our family grew, Sophia didn't.  My little car that had taken my husband and I to Florida and back, simply didn't have room for babies, groceries and a stroller.  The little Honda that I had proudly purchased as a single girl no longer fit my married with children life. 

I told my husband I wanted a mini-van and I was sort-of serious.  After trying to squeeze babies and bags into my little car, I wanted space.  My husband politely listened as I rattled off reasons as to why it would be so convenient to become a mini-van family.  I even promised that I would absolutely under zero terms put little stick family figures in the back window.  Less then 2 minutes after I finished he had built a case on why we would not own a mini-van. 

After scouring the Internet for vehicles from Boston to Austin, we found the newest member of our family in Louisville.  Cruz the Toyota is definitely not a mini-van, but she is perfect for our family and can pull an RV.  She has plenty of space and can now fit the double stroller, a weeks worth of groceries, and two precious babies comfortably.

The bittersweet part is that this new vehicle didn't bring my two babies home from the hospital.  This vehicle didn't hear the conversations I had with this boy named Scott as I was falling in love with him.  This new vehicle didn't witness my transformation from single girl to married mommy.

The other big change was we sold our St. Wendel house.  Even though we moved out last July, we (Scott) had been working on it prior to listing it.  Between working on an old house, renovating our new house, taking care of a wife post delivery, chasing after a toddler, and bonding with a newborn...lets just say the house didn't get listed until February.  It sold quick and saying good-bye to that house was bittersweet.  This was the house that welcomed Scott and I as husband and wife.  This is the house that held the memories of celebrating positive pregnancy tests, the living room that because my home for 6 weeks of bed rest, the perfect blue room my husband painted as our baby boy was about to join the world. In that same blue room, I spent every night the first year of our sons life nursing him to sleep.  That room became my favorite room in house.  This is the home our son took his first steps, and the home that my husband and I spent many nights sitting out on the back deck dreaming about our future.  I know those memories live in our hearts and not that house, but I'd be lying if I said leaving that blue nursery and every other inch of that home didn't pull at my heartstrings.

New cars and homes come and go, but the memories we create reside in our memory banks forever.  With the additional space in the new car and the new home, I look forward to filling every inch with new memories.  The kind of memories my children will talk about in their 20's, saying "remember when..."

Like this blog, leave a comment!  Feedback makes me happy.  :)  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More