And We Celebrated!


Please remove the pointy birthday hat
I’m wondering if 4 celebrations is a little overkill for Paisley’s 1st birthday.  “Yes” you say? Yeah, it probably is, but that didn’t stop us from blowing up the balloons and lighting the candles.  After all, you only go from “0” to “1” once. 
Playing with his new toy in his new chair
We kicked off the celebrations a couple weeks early by heading to my sisters for dinner.  Paisley received his first birthday gifts from his Aunt.  She had ordered him the cutest striped chair that has his name sewn on the back.  He quickly took to the chair and enjoyed diving out of the chair head first.  Boys!!  She also gave him a brightly colored wooden stacker toy.  He isn’t into “stacking” quite yet, but he does enjoy pulling the pieces off the base and scattering them throughout the house.  Just last night I found the orange piece in our kitchen.  Thank you sister for having us over and showering our birthday boy with love. 
The cake!
Celebration #2 came in the form of a “fish-themed” party held at New Harmonie State Park.  We invited our nearest and dearest and partied throughout the afternoon.  This is when Paisley got to dig in to his first piece of cake.  He took to it like a pro and expertly shoveled cake (mostly the icing) into his mouth.  He’s so proficient at getting good food into his mouth that I barely had to clean him up afterwards!  There may have been just a bit of blue frosting in his hair.   
Enjoying each bite of his smash cake
Little social boy went from guest to guest, happy to have everyone celebrating with him.  When it came time to open gifts, it was amazing to watch him look into each box or under the wrapping paper with excitement, then squeal and clap when the gift was revealed.  You’d think this kid unwrapped gifts all the time!  He received some wonderful toys, books, and clothes. 

The Fish3
I had so much fun planning this party and enjoyed using a bit of my craftiness on a few things.  I know he won’t remember the party, but I saw this as a chance to thank (and feed) some of the people that helped us survive the first year of his life.  This was as much a celebration for them as it was for our little 1 year old.  I might already have a few ideas on celebrating birthday #2!!
Gift Time!
Celebration #3 was a more low key event.  We headed to Boonville to celebrate with Paisley’s great-grandparents.  They are always so excited to have family visit and of especially if there are sweets involved!  Paisley was able to enjoy even more cake and wear his party hat, which he didn’t like at all (notice the somber face).  Paisley’s Nana and Pappaw surprised him with a rocky horse AND his very own truck.  Paisley immediately rode his horsey and then got in his truck.  He found the horn pretty quick and has been honking it ever since.  He’s all boy and he loves checking out the tires on his truck and popping the gas cap.  He looks pretty cute sitting in his truck, resting an arm on the windowsill, and honking the horn.  I even caught him playing on his phone while sitting in his truck.  I guess it’s never too early to teach him texting and driving is illegal in Indiana! 
His "first" car from Nana and Pappaw
Finally…his birthday arrived and with it came the 4th and final celebration.  We packed up the car and headed to Kentucky Lake with Scott’s brother, his wife, and their 2 kids.  The drive down felt much longer than it actually was because Paisley and his cousin were a little fussy as neither of them wanted to be in their car seat.  We tried entertaining them with books, snacks, and drinks, but nothing seemed to work.  We were so happy when we finally arrived at the cabin. 
Birthday morning!
We spent the rest of the day getting settled in the cabin and taking a sunset cruise on the boat.  This was Paisley’s first time on a boat and he did pretty good!  He didn’t like the wind blowing in his face, so he would bury his head in my chest and wait until he felt the boat stop before popping his head up.  He ended up falling asleep, he was an exhausted birthday boy!

Daddy and his birthday boy
The sunset was extra beautiful as the pink sky reflected off the water.  As I sat in the boat snuggling my sleeping birthday boy, I thought about how much he had changed in a year.  When I thought back to holding that tiny 6lb. baby a year ago…and here I was holding a 20lb. sleeping baby, I could barely believe it.  Exactly one year, the same baby, nestled up in the same loving arms they were in a year ago… my eyes may have filled up a bit with tears of a proud and loving mommy. 
Momma and her sleepy birthday boy
Back in the cabin, the birthday boy joined in for one final round of “Happy Birthday” and helped his momma blow out the final candle on his birthday cupcake.  I got our little 1 year old dressed in his sleeper, brushed his teeth, and cozied up with him in bed.  I let him fall asleep snuggled up to me before I put him in his pack-n-play for the night.  I laid there listening to his breath slip into a deep sleep pattern.  His occasional sigh sounded like a whisper in the wind.  I kissed his little forehead that felt warm from snuggling.  My birthday boy…
One final round of Happy Birthday
Good bye infancy, hello toddlerhood.  I think things are about to get even more fun!!

 Like this blog?  Leave a comment!  Feedback makes me happy!! J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More