Wedding on the Brain!

As of today, we are 99 days from celebrating one of the biggest days in our lives! As exciting as it is, it is also a tiny bit bittersweet. Scott and I are coming upon the 1 year anniversary of being engaged. From our congratulatory dinner with my parents in Florida, to the gift of matching rocking chairs from his parents, the engagement photos, planning this amazing party to celebrate our life together, the anticipation …it has been amazing.

Photo by the fabulous Nicole Neff

The planning has been easier than I’d dreamt possible. To see how Scott has helped with ideas, logistics and cutting all those wine bottles…it’s only a glimpse at how he will help me with all of life’s decisions. It’s funny because people will ask, “Are you getting nervous?” My response, "Not in the slightest."

As bad as I want July 16th to get here so I can say my vows and become his wife, I want time to stop. I want to soak up this excitement and energy and remember how it feels at this exact moment for the rest of my life.  My brain thinks about weddings from the moment I get up to when I lay down at night.  I even went through the phase I dreamt about the wedding.  Sometimes I would forget to buy a dress and not realize it until I was walking down the aisle, to the time everyone at our reception was eating cat food.  What in the world do those dreams mean?
Previously I’d mentioned my “two wedding planners.” I figured I’ve left you hanging long enough….so I’ll explain.

After Scott and I decided we would marry at the beautiful Jackson Lake Lodge, we discussed all of our wedding plans with the lodge provided wedding planner, Shannon. I had known Shannon from my previous life when I worked in Wyoming. I was more than delighted to have someone I know help with our wedding. We swapped e-mails and phone calls and plans were falling into place ever so easily. Than all the sudden…phone calls weren’t being returned, e-mails were going unanswered, and it was making me a little nervous. Scott could tell I was getting upset so he even made a few calls. He was quickly irritated when his calls weren’t getting a response either.

While skimming comments on Facebook, I noticed on Shannon’s page that she had taken another job and would be leaving the lodge. *gasp* I felt like I had been flicked in the stomach. Why wouldn’t my wedding planner fill me in that she was leaving? Had I not been her friend on FB, I would have never known that my wedding was now being placed in the hands of a stranger. All of my discussions with Shannon about details and ideas were simply lost. It was a sad day for this bride-to-be.

                            Wine bottle centerpieces..what a lovely idea! :)
Shannon finally called back and told me what I already knew. She was leaving the lodge but would be staying on until they hired her replacement. Once they hired someone new she would be handing over all our notes and would make sure the transition went smoothly.

For a few months after the new girl, Emily, started, Shannon and Emily would call and we would discuss menus, flowers, colors, etc. I enjoyed having the two of them to bounce ideas off of and gather feedback from. While the fun lasted a month or two, Shannon went on to her new position and I wish her well. While I’ve never actually met Emily, I look forward to meeting her in July and hope she enjoys her new position as our Wedding Planner.

In the meantime, the only other wedding “oh crap” came with the guest list. Naturally, Scott and I want to share our wedding with our friends and family. That being said, we chose to marry in one of the most beautiful spots on earth in a fairly intimate ceremony. Our “intimate” guest list quickly shot to 185 people…and 85 of them were under the age of 15. Due to space constraints at our location, we quickly realized we have a lot of little cousins. At that time we had a decision to make, either marry at home to accommodate our large family, or marry in the exact location we want to marry and have an adult only ceremony and reception. Since it’s our wedding, the decision wasn’t that hard to make.

Our neighbor, who is a very nice man, began asking questions about our wedding. He was genuinely excited for Scott and I. Maybe a little too excited as he burst into our kitchen one afternoon exclaiming, “I booked my reservations for the lodge.” I immediately double triple scanned the guest list in my head and knew he wasn’t invited. As I quickly crunched numbers and added him to the list carved into my brain, he mentioned his brother and he (adding another one to the guest list…) would drive out there in the new suburban they bought specifically for this trip. Nice…

A few days later, the same neighbor came over to tell us his sister would also be joining the two of them as guests at our wedding. (Now adding 3 “extras” to the list). If he comes over with any “additional” guests, Scott and I will be having a serious conversation with our neighbor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More