The Day Before...


Monitor time with one of my favorites!!
As Scott got ready for work, it was hard not to notice the excitement and nervous energy in the room. This was our last “normal” day as we knew it. As 7:30 rolled around, I pointed out to Scott that within 24 hrs. we would have our baby. As he headed off to work, I began my day as I had the previous 6 weeks. My nurse showed up around 8 to take vitals and put me on the monitor. I ordered my breakfast of fruit loops with skim milk, pears, and apple juice. My Dr. came in for our daily chat and excitement was all over her face. After taking care of us, worrying about us, and praying for us (she told me the day before she had added our family to her prayer list), she was as excited to deliver this baby as we were. Having Dr. Schroeder in our lives has been miraculous. She is caring and compassionate and everything one could hope for in a Dr. She pulled up a chair and sat next to my bed, explaining everything that would happen tomorrow at 7:30a.m. She said that my night nurse would get an IV started around midnight tonight to get me hydrated. I was not to have anything to eat or drink after midnight, even sips of water. Around 5:30 a.m., the nurse would begin prepping me for surgery. By 7:30, I would be in the operating room and the anesthesiologist would administer the spinal. Once that was complete, Scott would be allowed in the O.R. We would both be dressed as meat packers complete with hair nets. With that, she said “see you in the morning” and she was off to do her rounds.

Various nurses stopped in throughout the day to wish me luck as did my favorite housekeeper Pat and food delivery workers Rose and Mary. It was nice to have so many people rooting for us and telling us they would miss us when we were gone. Scott sent me cute texts throughout the day saying things like, “tomorrow at this time we will be holding our son.” Reading that sentence was mind-blowing. Around 11:30 as Mid-Day with Mike came on the news Scott showed up to have lunch with me. I admitted to him that I would miss “this.” This being the uninterrupted quiet time that Scott and I have gotten to spend together over the past 12 weeks. Although we wish the circumstances were a little different we have been able to have some quality time together during this time frame.

After Scott returned to work, mom and dad came to visit and helped make the afternoon pass. Mom and I played cards, we took a final wheelchair ride, and discussed the events of the following day. Scott picked up dinner on his way home as we felt like celebrating my final night of hospital bed-rest. Since Turoni’s has a special meaning to us, we found it only fitting to have Turoni’s as our final pre-baby meal. As mom and dad were leaving, dad asked Scott if they should get a hotel room in town. Scott assured them that most likely nothing was going to happen, and even if it did, they wouldn’t even have time to get here from a hotel before I would already on the operating table. Momma was debating what time to come in the morning because she wanted to see me before they wheeled me back. She decided on 7am, kissed me good-bye, and her and poppa headed home.
Our final night in #3536.  The baby bed is ready to go!
Scott crawled into bed with me and our night nurses, Tara and Heather came in. Call it good fortune, but these two are a couple of my favorite nurses. They have been so sweet and caring to Scott, Paisley and I during the stay here. It only seems fitting that they are here for our last evening. After I have Paisley tomorrow, I will be moved to the post-partum section with different nurses. Of course I wish I could just stay here in Labor and Delivery, but that isn’t how the system works. Scott stepped out of the room to get a cup of ice and there was the baby bed outside our door. Scott looked back at me and we couldn’t help but smile. Tomorrow night at this time our son will be in that little bed. The bed was #10, which seemed perfect for our perfect “10” baby.

Scott and I wrote out our prayers to put in our prayer box. As we turned out the lights to go to sleep, we talked about this being the last night we would go to bed without a little one needing us. That was a very surreal feeling. I felt like it was Christmas Eve, the night before a big vacation, and the first day of school all rolled into one moment. The anticipation was indescribable. How many people get the opportunity to lie in bed at night and know that they will be holding their son in just a few hours.

Dear Baby-See you in the morning. Please have a safe trip.  Love, Mom
Like this blog?  Leave a comment!  Feedback makes me happy! :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More