An Abundance of Thanks

Waking up on Thanksgiving morning, a sleepy smile could be found on my face. We were lucky enough to sleep in a few hours before beginning the festivities. Scott and I had been up until midnight the night before baking and preparing dishes for Thanksgiving lunch and dinner. My pumpkin roll which typically looks less than edible turned out perfectly for the first time ever.


As we drove the 45 minutes to my parent’s house in Boonville, Scott and I took the opportunity to reminisce on our past four months of marriage. Our wedding day and week to follow will forever be one of the highest points in our life. In the couple months that followed, we hit the opposite end of the spectrum as we dealt with medical issues and a loss. We weathered the ups and downs and came out more educated on topics we wish we weren’t. We leaned and supported one another and learned that time and love is the best medicine for pain. I am thankful to have this husband that can provide for me in all ways; mentally, physically, and emotionally.

As we arrived at my parents, we were greeted with hugs and kisses. Both Scott and I are very lucky to have been raised in homes with a loving and supportive mom and dad. At the age of 30, we are still able to go in our childhood homes and be welcomed with open arms by both our parents. Those tight family bonds created the daughter, sister and wife I have become today.

It was a smaller gathering than normal as Rhea is at the other end of the world and gram and gramps are at my uncle's house. Even though my grandparents weren't seated at the table with us this year, they weren't far from my mind. I am so thankful for the minutes I am given with them. Growing up, it was my grandparents that took us to Florida every year. My grandmother would sit under an umbrella on the beach while my grandfather fished for dinner.

Every Sunday, we drove 45 minutes to Lincoln City to have lunch with them. As time passed and my grandparents became older, they moved to Boonville to live in an apartment close to my parent’s house. These days it’s mom that prepares the Sunday lunches that gram used to make. While I don't make it to lunch every Sunday, I stop in as often as I can. A few weeks ago as the fall leaves were at their peak, I was driving grandpa to church. As I drove down the road, I didn't push the gas pedal as hard as normal. If you know my grandpa, you understand why. He appreciates life more than anyone I've ever know. Every leaf, from the bright golden to the crumbled up brown, he comments on each of their beauty. I wanted him to have as much time on that bright, beautiful fall day to soak in the scenery. Hearing him talk about his appreciation for life and all things in it, makes me appreciate those same items even more. I could write another blog dedicated to those two precious grandparents of mine....they are my most valuable antiques ever.

Mom has never prepared a meal that was less than amazing and today was no different. The turkey, dressing, sweet potato fries, and corn...it was all perfect. I'm thankful that my family is able to cook such a meal and sit in a cozy home filled with memories and enjoy the feast. Some of my happiest memories seem to be surrounding the dinner table with my family. Adding Scott to this family and having him join us around the table only adds to my happiness.

All too quickly, the dinner dishes were cleared and leftovers were packed away. Scott and I hopped in the car and headed towards our next event at the Fisher family home. I am very thankful to have the in-laws I do. They warmly greeted Scott and me as we walked in. My mother-in-law quickly put a pot of coffee on while making me feel as though I've been a part of the family forever. I've always felt very welcome and comfortable in their home and am so thankful to have that relationship with them. My brother and sister-in-law as well as my adorable niece joined the party. Any meal that includes that little 3 year old is quite comical as you never know what she is going to say or do.

Surprisingly, Scott and I found room to add more food to our already full stomachs. As the sun set and the temperature dropped, ice and rain began to fall. Scott and I gave our thanks to his parents for having us over and cooking such a wonderful meal. Driving back home, his eyes on the road and my head on his shoulder, we continued our conversation from earlier.

We each have good jobs that allow us time off and a paycheck to spend on things we enjoy. We have family that loves and supports us and we enjoy spending time with them. We have friends that might as well be family because they also show us the same love and support. Finally, we have one another and a beautiful life laid out before us.


Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

  1. Kara Elizabeth, I never thought when I started to read this I would be brought to tears. But I was. The words you wrote, your feelings, you are so amazing. I too am Thankful for the wonderful daughters I have. The love you have for Grandma and Grandpa is so special. We are all so very blessed to have each other. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. what great group party i really impress and i say to you ! your group forever enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice group i said that your group is really looking too good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More