Hello Wedding Day!

I wasn’t surprised to find my eyes opening before my 8am alarm had a chance to wake me from my slumber. I was surprised at the sense of calm that surrounded me. For a girl getting married in mere hours, I felt incredibly rested and relaxed. As I glanced at two of my sleeping bridesmaids buried beneath the down comforter, I quietly slipped out of the bedroom and onto the back deck.


A chilly breeze ruffled my hair and I was instantly glad I had pulled a sweatshirt on. The sun was peeking above the mountains and slowly warming my face as I walked around the deck. I quickly found mom soaking up the atmosphere. She already had a pot of coffee ready and waiting for me. As I graciously took my mug, we walked around the gardens. I think the mountain air had a hand in calming any nerves that may have tried invading my mind. The flowers were glistening from the morning dew and sparkled like the diamond on my left hand.

My sister joined us on the walk and asked typical “morning of the wedding” questions. “Are you nervous?” “Are you ready?” “What do we need to do?” Believe it or not, I think she was more nervous than I. I sent up a silent prayer that the blue skies would hang around all day. We already had been blessed with a week of perfect weather, what was one more afternoon of glorious sunny skies with a whisp of mountain breeze.

Scott and I already decided that we would not see or speak to one another prior to the ceremony. Even though it was only 8:30am, I was already ready to see him and get the festivities started. I was anxious to see what he thought of my dress! He had been a perfect angel about driving my dress to the mountains and not even sneaking a peek.

My sleeping beauty bridesmaids were rolling out of bed as my amazing hairdresser Katie arrived at our home. After a cup of coffee and a couple muffins later, she began her work on the girls. Bobby pins and hairspray flew through the air as we started packing our cars to head north to Jackson Lake Lodge.

Katie decided she could save time by working on Rhea’s hair in the car. With Rhea laying face down in the backseat, Katie sat on her back and continued her masterpiece. Maybe not a legal way to travel, but it worked. Emily, Ashley and I crammed into the front seat of their rental car. With our backseat crammed full of luggage and wedding supplies, we began our 45 minute drive north. Ashley’s legs only fell asleep one time on the drive north. Mom and dad brought up the tail of our wedding parade with another equally packed car.

After a roadside bathroom break, we arrived at the lodge. Jessi had already opened the bridal suite and had the fans going. Instantly we went to work on hair, make-up, and making bouquets. There had been a minor flower issue that popped up Wednesday. Our wedding planner called stating the flowers had arrived, but ½ of them were dead. Luckily, the planner was incredible and contacted the flower shop and had live flowers delivered to the bridal suite hours before the ceremony. Neither Scott nor I had to lift a finger to get the error corrected. For this reason, I recommend a wedding planner to anyone getting married!

The bridesmaids were a little leery of the built-in craft time I had arranged for them. None of them had created a bouquet before, so they were a little apprehensive towards the task. As my sister arranged a mock-up bouquet, the others grew more confident as they arranged spray roses with daisies with lily grass. The outcome was beautiful!! I was more than pleased with their floral talent!!

Our videographer, who may have been the hardest working wedding vendor ever, showed up and went to work taping the girls getting ready and making arrangements. Little did I know, while the girls were making their bouquets and getting beauty-fied, the groomsmen and father of the groom were creating centerpieces in the Explorer’s Room. I had no idea this group of guys had such decorating talent! My bridesmaid Ali was lucky enough to become my personal assistant for the day. She was incredible as she fed me while my hair was getting done, held my phone because I lost it every time I had it, answered the phone calls that became constant, and kept an eye on the time and how things were running.

Our photographer Kisa popped in just in time to capture my dress being slid over my head. While I was excited throughout the entire day, putting the dress on really ramped up the heartbeat. I couldn’t believe it as I looked into the mirror and a bride stared back. My mom gave me the final missing item, my garter. With a quick glance in the mirror, we headed outside to take pre-wedding photos.



Walking through the lodge, I felt like I was floating. Strangers were taking photos of the girls and I and many tourists shouted out “Congratulations” as we passed by. On the back terrace, I caught my first glimpse of the ceremony set up. 60 white folding chairs were perfectly set up in a semi circle, facing the most beautiful mountain range in the world. My father had scattered bright pink rose petals down the center walk-way.

Kisa snapped away as the girls and I hugged and posed. The wedding planner went into super stealth mode as she made sure Scott didn’t catch a glimpse of his bride outside. As pictures came to an end, we headed into the reception hall so the guys could take their place for the ceremony. I was nearly blown away as I walked into the Explorers Ballroom. The wooden dance floor sat waiting for our guests to let loose. Each table was perfectly decorated with the various colored wine bottles that Scott had cut, and filled with colorful wild flowers. Each table name was a reflection of the mountains that sat outside the door. The room was perfect.

Our videographer caught me right as we were about to begin our walk outside. He asked me to say something to Scott. For the first time that day, the tears welled up in the corners of my eyes. What I wanted to say was that I was so lucky and so blessed to be standing there, surrounded by people that we love, and people that love us. I was minutes away from marrying the person that had become my best friend over the past 3 years. Not everyone gets to meet someone that makes them feel so beautiful and loved each and every day, and here I was about to marry that person. Yes, it’s safe to say I became emotional while these thoughts ran thorough my head and heart. All I could squeak out was that I am so happy and that so in love with my soon to be husband. I think Scott got the picture.

As my beautiful group of girls walked into the lobby, which was overflowing with lodge guests, many stood up and began clapping as I walked through the room. Goosebumps covered every inch of my body. In my hands, I tightly clutched my bouquet, wrapped with a handkerchief that had been my grandpa Mike’s. Mom had sewn a little blue heart on it. I hugged my girls and the wedding planner said it was time. With that, Phil our musician began playing his guitar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More