Massages, Books and a Cozy Dinner for Two!

I’ve been so focused on getting the blogs about our ski trip posted, I’ve neglected to write about the present! Last week was eventful as I gave a presentation to 5th graders at Scott Elementary about our trip to Antarctica. I had worked with the teacher years before while participating in Junior Achievement. I’ve kept in touch with her and she calls me yearly to speak to her students about traveling. I absolutely love the experience and it always makes me question if I went into the wrong profession.

The young minds soaked up the information I fed them and asked great questions! Well, most of the questions were good but some of the male students got hung up on the ships' hot tub.  The next 4 questions were all directly related to how much time I spent in the hot tub, how many people could fit into the hot tub, what I wore in the hot tub, etc. Boys! The presentation lasted about 45 minutes but I could have talked for hours!

I learned a lesson about parking near the bus lane that day. I had finished my presentation about 10 minutes before school let out, but the buses were already parked and waiting. So I sat in my car and daydreamed about my days on the playground. Finally, the buses departed and I was able to return to work.

The evening of my presentation, I treated myself to my favorite spa in Evansville. I had a 60-minute therapeutic massage that left me breathless! It started out with my massage tech massaging my feet in a pool of warm water while she asked where I wanted her to focus her attention. After drying my feet, she exited the room so I could disrobe and climb onto the heated table covered with warm plush blankets. I could have fallen asleep immediately! I might have faded in and out of consciousness and the 60-minutes ended too quickly. I swear the massage completely heals any and all aches to my mind and body. (If anyone wants her name and number, feel free to shoot me a message!)

Between work, presentations, and my massage, I started reading “Dear John” by Nicholas Sparks. I’ve always enjoyed his books and prepared myself for the tears that were bound to fall. I always feel bad for Scott when I start reading a book because I absolutely get lost in the pages. I can’t tear myself away until the last page has been turned. He learned while I was reading the Twilight series that it isn’t anything against him, I just really fall deep into the stories I read.

I finished “Dear John” last night and was disappointed on so many levels. I don’t want to ruin the book for anyone, so don’t read this paragraph if you plan on reading the book. With every other Nicholas Sparks book I have read, I form a connection with the characters, not because I relate to what they go though, but because the book builds on the character enough that I can put myself into their situation. With “Dear John,” I felt I was thrown into this situation with two people I didn’t know. The speed of their romance left my head spinning. While I’m not saying that you can’t fall in love with someone quickly, to form a real and lasting bond with someone takes time. This book painted such an unrealistic picture that I couldn’t believe it. Half-way through the book, their relationship was bound to fail and it was evident to me as the reader. Not only did the relationship end in failure, but these characters were dealt with the harshest reality possible. Between the unrealistic love, the speed of the story, and the ultimate awful ending, I was so glad when I finished the book. Today I will start “Lovely Bones.” Even though it is about murder, it has to be better than the love story of “Dear John.”

And finally, last night was one of those nights that I got home from work and Scott said “Let’s have a date.” I had never been to the Old Mill, and as we walked into the old rustic building, I thought it must be closed. The lights were dim except for the glowing fire burning in the fireplace. There wasn’t a soul in sight, when a waitress poked her head out and told us to sit anywhere we'd like. We took the table in front of the fireplace. Christmas lights twinkled around the heavy wooden beams that framed the interior of the building. Scott and I laughed as we had this entire place to ourselves and it was quite the romantic setting.

After we put in our orders and our waitress was out of sight, we caught up on the daily events and talked about plans for the weekend. The warmth of the fire felt amazing on this rainy night and having the place to ourselves made us feel as comfortable as if we were in our home. Scott mentioned this will be what it is like when we are on our honeymoon, in a cozy, rustic, bed and breakfast. I felt as if I was on The Bachelor and this was the one-on-one date. We had the place to ourselves and it felt completely unreal.


Maybe it was because I had just finished reading this book on heartache and loss or maybe it was the setting we were in, but I felt a euphoric rush of love for Scott. I might get a little sappy here, so bear with me or skip ahead. My entire life I’ve always been looking for the next best thing. I was always happy, but I always knew there was more out there. I didn’t know what the “more” was and I sure couldn’t have explained it to you. It was almost a concerning feeling because I didn’t know if I would or could ever get past this feeling. With Scott, I don’t wonder anymore what else is out there. I’m not looking for the next best thing because I have it. And it’s not that he’s perfect, because no one is. It’s the way he treats me and the way he makes me feel. I’ve got nothing to look for and nothing to want because he gives me everything I need. I don’t even think “love” is an adequate word to use when I describe my feeling for him because it is greater than that. It’s the way he is and the way he acts that draws me to him. He is kind and generous and patient. I’ve never known anyone like him and to believe he is mine and will experience everything in life with me makes my breath catch in my throat. I wish everyone could experience this feeling…but I know it is rare. This is the stuff I didn’t believe existed until I found it almost 3 years ago.

I’ll leave it at that. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and find love when you least expect it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More