Birthday Gifts

I remember when my parents turned 40.  In my mind I thought, "man, that's old!"

As the calendar showed the date of my birth upon us, and I turned the corner from "early 30's" to "late 30's" I am happy to report that almost-40 didn't really seem old.  In fact it felt/feels good.  It feels better than 20 or 25 or 30 felt.    

I remember in detail how excited I would get about the mound of presents wrapped in pink paper and fluffy bows that had shown up on my birthday every year since birth.  Yet the older I get, the less interested I am in those shiny packages and the prizes they hold inside.  I am more interested in the faces that surround those packages.  I am more interested in the conversations that take place during my birthday meal and the memories that are made as we sip after dinner drinks and eat cake...or cheesecake.

This year as the ever popular question escaped the lips of my parents and spouse ("What do you want for your birthday?") I made a simple request....lets all get together.  And so the night of my birthday rolled around and nestled at their oval table, I looked at the faces of my mother and father, sister and brother-in-law, and my little family.  And as it came time to blow out the candles and make a wish, I realized that I had my wish.  I had everything I wanted right there, surrounding the table, gathered in my parents dining room.

With aging comes the occasional backache and the ever growing collection of grey hair, but I'll take it.  I will gratefully accept another year lived with this group.  I'll happily spend another 365 days going through this life, accepting the grey hair and the extra smile lines that appear on my face.  I'll accept aging to a number that make my children think, "man, that's old."  I'll accept the shiny gifts that still show up on my birthday and I admit they do still excite me.

Another year older, another year to explore this world, another year to spend with friends, another year to love on this family.  Another year is the best gift I can think of receiving.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More