He gets It

Sweet babies (pre-witching hour)
5pm is what I like to refer as "The Witching Hour."  At this time the kids have used up all their good behavior for the day and the volume of their voices are stuck on "High."  This is the time that sharing toys is harder, using polite words is impossible, and attention seeking measures are in overdrive.  This is..."The Witching Hour."
The Witching Hour
The other evening as Scott got home from work, the kids were chasing each other, screaming, and wanted to be right under our feet as I prepared dinner and Scott attempted to tell me about his day.  After repeating himself numerous time, he looked at me across the kitchen, with the activity and sounds of 2 children right in between us, and he looked tired and a little defeated.  He said, I can't hear a word I'm saying...." I felt bad.  Bad the he couldn't tell me about his day and bad that the kids were just being kids.  But then before I could form another thought, he said "but I wouldn't have it any other way." As I looked at him again, he was smiling while looking down at our extremely loud children, who were happy as larks rolling and squawking around on the kitchen floor.  At that moment my heart smiled and I was reminded that "he gets it."
Parenting, it's not for the weak
"It" is realizing that these babies are the most precious blessings in our lives.  "It" is realizing that these moments, these loud, difficult moments are fleeting.  "It" is realizing that they aren't trying to interrupt our stories or trying to make it hard for us to reconnect at the end of a long day, but they're being little kids.  "It" is realizing that parenting is hard, but it's so much easier when we're on the same page.  "It" is realizing that we're in this together, all 4 of us, forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about the Little Boy

The First of a Few Hard Weeks

Simple Mistakes or Something More